UK rental market unnecessary

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by oscar_merkx, Jul 18, 2002.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

2. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Second Unit

Sean Aaron
    Yeah, I noticed after moving here that Columbia and I think the soon-to-be-deceased FilmFour do this and I could not see the point. There appear to be two different markets in the UK: people who rent films and people who buy them. The shops (at least near me in Glasgow: Movie Internet and Global Video) do not do as large stores in the States and amass large catalogs, but rather seem to cycle through movies as they come out. If I want to I can wait a few weeks before that rental version of a film is in the sale bin for less than the general release copy, or if I really want it I can still get a grey market import which can only hurt sales of the general release version.

Thankfully I've yet to see any rental window releases I actually want to own so it doesn't affect me.

3. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

Most of the rental windows are not a problem as you can usually order retail from the US even before they come to DVD in the UK.
    The annoying one is Film 4 as some of their films do not make it to US DVD.

I agree rental windows just cost UK sales as keen film fans will buy from the US loosing the UK distributor money.

I applaud Warner in the UK as at £11.99 in many places to buy Training Day this is very competitively priced against rental of £3.50 or so and you get a brand new disk rather than the problems I have had with scratched rental ones.

4. Lee_eel

Lee_eel Second Unit

I feel that the DVD format does not lend itself well to the renting market. DVD's are different from Video's in that they need to be treated with a lot more care. I have only rented two dvd's in the last two years and both were scratched. I feel the DVD market is very much a buyers market and most DVD enthusiasts are collectors anyway!