UK prices for Gamecube - also GBA drop!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Iain Lambert, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

I meant to post yesterday, but here it is.
    1) Gameplay.co.uk already have the Cube up for preorder for £156, expect shop prices to be about £160. Release date May 5th.
    2) Games there are listed at £39.99, which I expect to be shop prices as well.
    3) 20 titles for Euro launch date, with Luigi and Waverace as the two 1st party ones.
    4) GBA price drop as elsewhere: machine down to £59.99, games to £29.99
    all in all, someone in Nintendo _really_ hates Microsoft...
    (edited GBA price, its 59, not 69

2. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

And the UK cube will have full colour RGB output with 60hz options on the majority of the games barks IGN. Very good Nintendo, very good.

Cheaper GBA games, YAY!

Dan (UK)

3. Iain Lambert

Given that its standard rumour that the PS2 will be getting a shave to £170 around the launch date in March of the X-Box, that leaves Microsoft going to market with a console that sells for only £25-£30 less than its two major rivals combined. I.E. about the price of the adaptor you need to play DVDs on.

As much as I admire the technical ability of Halo: Combat Evolved, you've got to think that the average UK consumer is going to take some persuading that its worth the premium they are charging. I predict a sharp price drop - lets hope for those early adopters its not as nasty as the £100 one that the first month of N64 buyers met, or there will be some very annoyed people!

4. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Indeed. I DO want an X-Box though, I really do, but I've realised I literally have no place to put one in my room. [​IMG]
    Dan (UK)

5. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

Count me in at £156!

I dont know of anybody willing to pay £300 for an XBox...including me.

Unless they bite the bullet and release it cheaper MS have no chance against a £170 PS2 or a £160 Gamecube.

6. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I don't think that X-Box will be viable outside of the US market... the price is just going to we too high in Japan and Europe to make it a popular option.

Someone needs to remind Microsoft that £1 does not equal $1 (XBOX is $300 here in the states... so £300 is OUTRAGEOUS!)

7. Iain Lambert

To go back and defend Microsoft for a change, the PS2 also launched in the UK at £300, so its a fairly standard thing to do. Also, the Japan launch price for the XBox equates to about £180, so they haven't priced themselves out of the market at all there. Basically, Europe is picking up the tab for them loss-leading themselves into the market they see as important - the one where they face some opposition over how big that thing is, and they have already deemed important enough to redesign the controllers for.

8. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

You know, I've thought of something. Will Nintendo have the sense to start their add campaign for the Cube here BEFORE the x-box comes out? If Nintendo dont start pushing the console and its price damn soon then Microsoft may still take the lead.

Dan (UK)