UK finally gets MGS2....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Brecher, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

After what seems like an eternity, it came out last Friday in two disc form, I believe it's gone and broken all game sales records here.
    I've had a quick go, whole lot of cutscenes, isn't there? Playing MGS quickly reminded me at how bad at playing videogames I can truly be. [​IMG]
    The special DVD (disc2) is nice, nicely put together, I was going to watch the documentary but a big warning comes up telling me not to as it'll spoil the game. In a few weeks when I realise I am to dumb to complete the game, I'll probably watch it. There's also a whole bunch of trailers, crew bios and production notes on there. It was good of them to give Europe this second disc after the delay.
    Dan
    PS: The UK box is LOVELY, comes in a clear keepcase with one of those flipper things holding the second disc. Nice artwork.

2. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

It does indeed look lovely on the shelf - I'll probably be giving it a go myself at some point, as I bought a PS2 (finally) yesterday. Haven't bought it yet, as the excuse for getting one is all the £20 titles out at the mo.

3. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Oooh good job, Iain. The new boxed bundle PS2 with MGS2 didn't take your fancy, or have they all gone already?
    What I've managed to play today I am really enjoying, there as a hell of a lot of cutscenes, but it works well, highly immersive and enjoyable experience so far. I've just been summoned to the rooftop of the big oil rig thingy having just had a face off with the lady with that giant cannon she carries around like a gun. [​IMG]
    Harry Gregson-Williams' music is superb. I'll have to grab the CD release of it. I'm about ready to get stuck in for a full evening session right now...
    Snake? Snaaaaaaaakkkeee...
    Dan

4. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Dan Brecher,

If your interested in the two CD soundtracks for Metal Gear Solid 2 (the Official Soundtrack and "The Other Side" disc) let me know.

I have a good connection I use for all of my game soundtracks that can get both to you for a decent price.

5. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Romier,

Sounds good! I know people with them overseas who would CDR them for me, but I always like having the real deal over copies. Let me know the prices...

Dan

6. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

jolly good show,

can't wait to see threads refering the ending of this game from the UK players. We've already endured.

"I've had a quick go, whole lot of cutscenes, isn't there?"

understatement of the year.

So just out of curiosity, how's the PAL conversion for this game? Full screen?

7. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Dan,
    You've got mail[​IMG]

8. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Oscar, the PAL conversion is very good, seems to run at a very smooth rate and black borders are TINY, so much so that as I write about them now I am not even sure if there are any, and I just got off playing it. [​IMG]
    My pre-amp is currently dead and needs to go back to the makers for repair, I've not been able to check the 5.1 cutscenes. When it's all fixed I'll have the game running in DPLII, should sound great.
    I'm up to the bit where I've got to find thies Ames person by using the mic to pick up the beat of their pacemaker. Not found them yet, damn caughts caught me in the act.
    Dan

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

When you reach the ending, you will either be confused, pissed, or delighted.

Me, I was a bit of both.

Overall, the game is cool and there is an amazing amount of detail.

See, even when a game comes out in America first, we get screwed over on all the cool added stuff. Japan gets added modes, Europe gets a whole second disc, but we get diddly.

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Morgan, would you rather have waited four months for a cheap DVD 'making of' disk?

11. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Indeed the DVD is nothing to shout about. I did watch the documentary in the end, which is actually very good. The disc as a whole is nicely done, lovely menus and so on and so forth, but it's not worth getting upset over, although from Europe's point of view in light of the delay, the extra disc at no extra cost has been a welcome addition, I know I am greatful they bothered.

The European release apparently has all the extra modes the Japanese version had, plus one or two more exclusive to the European version. I've no clue what any of these are however.

Dan

12. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

The music being by Gregson-Williams seemed to have passed me by (or I was told so long ago that I've forgotten). That certainly makes it more enticing; its only £35 from Play at the moment. I thought about getting the bundle, but as my major reasons for wanting the machine were GTA3 and Burnout I got it from HMV, which are doing £20 off each of them when bought with the machine.

Actually, the poor thing is still sitting under the kitchen table at the moment waiting to be hooked up, as I'm really busy this week. I'm sure you can all imagine how much its taunting me there, as I'm out babysitting this evening and out again tomorrow!

Oh, and I _really_ ought to finish MGS before buying the sequel as well - am I right in thinking there are a bunch of spoilers for people who haven't completed it yet?

13. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Iain, I never completed the fist game. Whilst some moments are suddenly confusing in MGS2, they are eventually explained well enough to get what's going on. There is also a "Previeous story" option to read a little about the goings on of the last game.
    I love it when you first play MGS2, you're presented with a load of options to select regarding whether or not you played the last game, options like "I didn't clear the first game and action isnt my strong point" [​IMG]
    Dan

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

That option screen is new...

I would rather have waited a few months and gotten an ultra great package than getting diddly.

15. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Chaps, I am a bit stuck. Have I missed finding a sniper rifle of any kind somewhere? I am at the bit where I have to go find the president and have come to the bridge rigged with all the bombs which I have to shoot from a far to stop them going off. I've noticed using the scope that the droid flying about in the distance has one of the last detonators on its head but I can't target it. Any help?

Dan

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Not putting SPOILER tags so beware...

You have to go back to the place with the two floors and a bunch of rooms. I don't know how to be more specific (been a while since I played MGS2) but one of the rooms in the place can now be accessed with the new card you got. In one of the rooms is a sniper rifle.

MGS2 and MGS both had a backtracking to get a sniper rifle section.

17. Romier S

Romier S Producer

You need to go back to the Strut F Warehouse. The PSG1 and PSG1T (shoots tranquilizers) can be found on the second level of the wharehouse. Both can be located in the eastern most room (check the map).

Hope that helps.

18. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Thanks guys!

I'M A COMIN MR PRESIDENT!

Dan

19. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Well, I finished the game much to my surprise, though I am far from done. I deliberately did it in easy first to get to grips with everything. This has now unlocked "European Extreme" (sounds filthy, doesn't it?) difficulty mode. Bring it on! [​IMG]
    The ending, I liked it, the game has a pretty nice message I guess, but whole lot of double crossing in this game. I must admit I am still somewhat confused, but I am hoping subsequent completions at higher difficulty levels will make me get it more.
    Dan

20. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Now that you've beaten it, you can get some of the extras and start doing all the cool stuff, and you can start finding all the cool little details that have no real purpose.