What's new

UK Deluxe Edition of Sleeping Beauty (1 Viewer)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Typical. Just after I got the French version! This seems to indicate a change of mind on Disney's part after previously issuing only the single disc in the UK.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Does anyone know any more about the UK version. I already have the French 2 disc set (and the UK P&S single disc - but that's another story)
Being as the reason they (supposedly) dropped the UK 2 disc set in the first place at the last minute was because they didn't want to publicise it along side their duel release of 'Atlantis' (which was a joke as I never saw one single advert for the 2 disc 'Atlantis' set) it doesn't look good.
The November titles have already been announced: 'Beauty and the Beast' (Single and Double disc sets), 'Basil The Great Mouse Detective' and 'The Black Cauldron'.
If 'Atlantis' stopped the initial release, I cannot see them wanting 'Sleeping Beauty' to compete with Beauty and the Beast. :frowning:
Does anyone have further information on the US release, rumored for May 2003? Do you think the UK release will be held back until this time. I'm hoping the R1 release will have a commentary which is missing from the European 2 disc sets - perhaps another Walt Disney one? After all, it was supposed to be his favorite animated film.

James Reader

Screenwriter
According to one DVD magazine over here, the UK re-release of Sleeping Beauty (as a 2 disc CE) is in January (exact date TBC)

It will be interesting to see if the UK version features and extra supplements over the French and German releases, as I expect the upcoming R1 title to have a little extra (to make up for all the waiting)

James Reader

Screenwriter
This is now listed onPlay.com , sadly the aspect ratio is listed as 4:3, but I am certain this is in error. No Special features are listed at this moment in time.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Blackstar now have the Deluxe Edition listed and show more details (as well as the cover)
Story features: History of the story, The 1951 outline, Storyboard sequences. Production features: Music of Sleeping Beauty, The design, Creating the backgrounds, Live action reference sequences. The restoration. Widescreen to pan and scan comparison.
It seems to be a direct copy of the existing French and German releases with nothing new added.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Is anyone getting a little concerned about the upcoming UK Sleeping Beauty release?
All of the e-tailers listing the title include the following details on special features:
Story features: History of the story, The 1951 outline, Storyboard sequences
Production features: Music of Sleeping Beauty, The design, Creating the backgrounds, Live action reference sequences
The restoration
Widescreen to pan and scan comparison.
None mention the 'Grand Canyon', 'Four Artists Paint One Tree' and 'The Story of Peter Tchaikovsky' which are available on the mainland European sets. More worryingly, the art released shows the 'Deluxe Edition' at the bottom, but no mention a 2 Disc Set (all previous Disney 2 disc sets have shown this clearly on their cover).
20.jpg

They are charging more money than the current P&S release but not as much as the 2 disc 'Monsters, Inc' or 'Beauty and the Beast' sets according to Blackstar.
Something for people to keep their eyes on. :thumbsdown:

James Reader

Screenwriter
Does anyone have a copy of this yet? Does it include the missing features 'Grand Canyon', 'Four Artists Paint One Tree' and 'The Story of Peter Tchaikovsky'? It it indeed 2 discs?

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I held it in my hands at HMV(for £24.99!) about ten minutes ago. It is indeed 2 discs and comes in digi-pack style packaging. I was relieved to see that it is widescreen. However there is no mention of the 'Grand Canyon', 'Four Artists Paint One Tree' and 'The Story of Peter Tchaikovsky' features on the back of the packaging. It lists the features that James mentions and then says 'Much much more...' Whether that means 'Grand Canyon' etc are on there is anyones guess.

James Reader

Screenwriter
I got this today, and (apart from the language) it is exactly the same as the mainland European collector's sets. Noting has been added apart from the odd (rather plummy) voice over reading text.
It will be interesting to see if the R1 release has any additional features when it it released. (I'll probably buy it anyway, making it my 4th purchase of Sleeping Beauty on DVD!)
I'm still disappointed that BVHE UK seem to have done no publicity for this release whatsoever. Poor Walt will be spinning in his grave :frowning:

Jim Kilbane

Auditioning
Anyone have any idea WHEN they will release Sleeping Beauty in US Region 1? I had heard that Disney is planning Aladdin for a Christmas release in the States. I am eagerly awaiting SB region 2 to arrive this week. My multi-region player is eagerly awaiting her arrival.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Jim I did hear March 23rd for a R1 Sleeping Beauty release, but most rumours place the release in April/May 2003.

Fingers crossed for an announcment soon, eh?

Jim Kilbane

Auditioning
Well I received my copy of SB from amazonuk yesterday and have watched everything on the discs. I am quite impressed. But anything is a improvement over my VHS copy. I was curious about the Region 1 release because (as paranoid as I am) I am afraid that with the PAL to NTSC conversion I maybe losing some resolution on my TV. The video is soooo much better than the VHS.

The artwork in this movie is so spectacular (especially the backgrounds). Much better than Snow White or Cinderella. The background drawings are awe inspiring. I would love to know where the original artwork resides (probably with the studio or the animators families). Just seeing the drawings plastered on the walls of the offices during production made my mouth salivate. The only thing is I wish Disney would make a monumental effort with SB that they did with Snow White and Beauty and the Beast.

James Reader

Screenwriter
If anyone is interested here is the list of features of the UK Sleeping Beauty 2 disc set. The film is presented in widescreen of course.

Disc 1

The Making Of Sleeping Beauty Freature

Rescue Aurora Adventure Game

Ink and Paint Studio Game

Art Attack: How to Make a Magic Castle (*)

Disc 2

Story:

- The History of the Story

- The 1951 Outline

- Storyboard Sequences

-- - The Faries put the Castle to Sleep

-- - The Capture of the Prince

Production:

- The Music of Sleeping Beauty

- The Design

- Creating the Backgrounds

- Live Action Reference

-- - Briar Rose Dance Reference

-- - Prince Philip and the Dragon Reference

-- - Photographs

- The Restoration

- Widescreen to Pan and Scan Comparison

Virtual Gallaries:

- Layouts and Backgrounds

- The Sleeping Beauty Storybook

- Posters

- Disneyland Walkthrough

- Storyboards

- Character Design Galleries

-- - Briar Rose/Princess Aurora

-- - The Three Good Faries

-- - The Royal Families

-- - Maleficent and Henchmen

- Conceptual Art

Scrapbook:

- Behind the Scenes

- Publicity

- Merchandise

- Theme Parks

Feature Programmes

- Four Artists Paint One Tree Feature

- Grand Canyon Feature (**)

- The Peter Tchaikovsky Story

Notes:

There are no trailers or commentary.

The gallaries are like those of Snow White and Beauty and the Beast being '3D walkthroughs' rather than static displays like on the Tarzan or Fantasia discs for example.

* Being as Art Attack is not shown in America, I would expect this to be removed from the R1 version.

** Grand Canyon is the original short (a sort of Walt Disney Natural History Documentary) that was paired with Sleeping Beauty on it's first release.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I got this yesterday, finally in widescreen, one of my favorite animated movies, every frame has been lavishly restored, and there is a short featurette on the restoration.

The Peter Tchaikovsky Story was shown on tv in 1959 and lasts 30mins, starring Grant 'incredible shrinking man' Williams as Tchaikovsky.

The 30min Grand Canyon short is in 5.1 sound and 2.35 ratio, its sort of a travelogue of the Grand Canyon edited to classical music, and won an Oscar for Best Live action short, looks fantastic in widescreen.

The only disappointment for me was lack of commentary, never mind I'm just really happy I have this on my shelf right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks