What's new

UK Channel 4 / FilmFour Top 100 list (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
And in fairness to IMDb, if you wipe out any film from the last 5 years then you have a pretty impressive collection of films. It is a list that makes sense and I can agree with for the most part.
In fact it has a better balance between pop and art than many other lists.
But add in those recent films and it ends up top heavy with recent films.
Again, I love Memento but did I love it NOW more than someone like me loved Maltese Falcon when it first came to theaters?? That's the perspective that should be kept with these lists.
The strength of Kane, etc. to me is their ability to reach people outside their own era of popularity. And Kane stays near the top not just because "it's supposed to" but because it impresses a wider group of people, especially film fans.
As I mentioned, it happens with other stuff too. Greatest tragedies of all time...betcha the WTC thing would be in the top 10. And terrible as it was, no way it's one of the 10 worst things ever to happen in the world. But that's just how people react, especially in popular votes. Cripes it happens at ESPNet all the time when they have votes for all sorts of "all-time" picks. Whatever is currently in people's minds gets the vote.
Of course this is a world where you could rerelease North by Northwest and a lot of people would think it's new (if you gave it modern production values at least). And then it would top their films lists again. ;)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I think if they truly want a decent poll, they should wait 10 years for a film to qualify..actually the R & R HALL OF FAME has a 25 year wait after 1st release. Seems to work well and it does weed out the one hit wonders (Sorry, Flock

In the citizen kane documentery, it said the film was forgotten for 10 years and only then did it start getting the critical applause. Seems like it takes that long to 'digest' and get a good fairly unbiased reaction to a film

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks