Uhm... whats a 'good' blood pressure level for teenagers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Mar 10, 2002.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I had to take my blood pressure for my Fitness and Health class today at one of those free Blood-Pressure level machines...

Well, some background.. im 16, about 5'6", but underweight (according to MY scale, im 100lbs!)... Im pretty scrawney, but not totally un-fit...

So i take my blood pressure, the first time i got 155/85.. this was right after a brisk walk in the rain form my car to the machine...

I wait about 5 mins, followed what it said (raise arm, open close hands rapidly for 30 secs), then went in again... this time i got 144/75...

I saw the chart, and it showed my first number was 'off the chart' (it litsed HIGH as 130+ i think), and the second number i was in the HIGH range. (both levels on the second time).

Just wondering, is this too high or life threatening? I eat quite alot but never get any heavier or fatter. I dont eat terribly unhealthily either. Im in okay shape since my fitness and health class is on every other school day (i ran 1600m in 7:35, though long, i beat my old time by 30 secs, and was i think within the top 10 of my class of all athletes, which im not).

2. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

Those charts are probably correct for adults but I'm not sure if teens are any different. However, running into the store makes a BIG difference and the fact that you were probably a little nervous during your second reading makes a BIG difference also. Do it again when you're feeling nice and relaxed. I've never heard the "open and close hand rapidly" bit. Just relax. If you get the same readings, tell your doctor.

3. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I'm always intrigued by the U.S. population's knowledge of blood pressure. I doubt there are many Brits who'd have a clue what their pressure was, nor what it meant if they did.

Do people find out on their own over there or is it talked about a lot in schools as part of health education? I always wondered about it. The last time a nurse took mine she said it was good, though...

4. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

Theo,

Many drug stores have machines where you can just sit down, stick your arm in, push a button, and take your pressure in about 30 seconds. You can also purchase a machine for 30-60 dollars and take your pressure whenever you want. I bought one of these when my wife was pregnant and had some minor BP issues.

As for Americans' knowledge/obsession, I think BP is just something that has crept into Americans' lingua franca re: simple ways to monitor your health. As a nation, we also obsess a bit about our cholesterol level, although that's been complicated by other issues (i.e. good/bad cholesterol ratio). Relative to the rest of the world, many Americans obsess about health stats because we believe we can significantly impact our quality and length of life by making 'healthy choices' in what we do and eat. It may be true and I try to be 'healthy', but it sure does take a little of the fun out of life.

BTW, Nick is Canadian so maybe he can speak for them.

5. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I dont think that those reading were in any way terrible. Now when you see people that have a BP over 180 then you should probably start to worry a little [​IMG]
    Seriously once I took a womans BP and I pumped up the bulb and when it got to 180 I started letting it down.... Not a single tick. Then I switched arms on her and inflated to 190.... Nothing. I then proceeded to ask her if she happened to know how hi her BP was. She said it was really high and that she was on meds but that she wanted to know if it dropped any. I kindly told her she should probably go talk to her doctor.
    Make sure that you have not been excercising.. In the morning being the best bet before you drink any coffee or have caffeine. Make sure that you are calm (Not stressed out) then have a reading taken. If you truly are worried at least talk to a nurse or doctor about it. Most areas have a "Ask a nurse" number that can be called 24/7 for quick questions try your phone book.
    KyleS

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I think the last time I had my physical, I was something like 120/60 but I'm 30 and fairly active. As long as it's greater than 0, right? [​IMG]
    Jay

7. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

Kyle,

8. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

A good normal for most people is 120/80. Insurance companies began to become concerned at 140/90.

Blood pressure moves around a lot, depending on activity. That's why it's taken with you resting, sitting quietly.

Blood pressure allowed to run well above normal for many years can lead to artery problems and stroke in later years, so it's important to control it early if you have a problem.

If you do have a problem, it's a job for a doctor to fix.

Deane

9. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Denward,
    Those readings were in no way terrible!! They were not because he said that he had a brisk walk in from the rain and then he waited 5 minutes and retested and his results in only 5 minutes were down by a count of 10. His systolic rate was in no way high for walking/running in from the rain. Terrible they were not, Great... not really. My qualifications?? Do you see an MD beside my name... Or yours? [​IMG] (I was almost a physical therapist and we were required to learn to take BP)I think that we need to remember this is not a medical board but a board for advice. Note that I did say he should go see a doctor if he is in any way worried. I think that everyone needs to take statements with a grain of salt before reacting. [​IMG]
    KyleS

11. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

Kyle,

Relax dude. If you will notice, your last response is saying exactly what I said in my first response.

I thought that your first response was too optimistic which is why I asked about your qualifications. If you were a medical professional, I would say that your advice is worth more than mine and I would defer to your greater knowledge. If my wife saw me get a BP reading of 155/85, she would call that pretty terrible. The first response would be follow up with another reading at a later time. In my non professional opinion, 155/85 is nothing to shrug off. Waiting until 180 to get worried is way off the curve.

12. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

13. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Denward,

No problem I was trying to not take it as an attack of any kind. Tried to keep my response light hearted and am sorry if you were offended in any way.

KyleS

14. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

No prob, Kyle.[​IMG]

15. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Ahthanks guys..
    im going to the doctor hopefully sometime this week.. [​IMG]