Uhm, approx how much to fix a broken headlight?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Nov 29, 2002.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Aight, im in some deep sh!t...
    Well not really deep, but yah...
    So today im backing my car out of my garage, my back windshield was fogged up and i could barely see... MY FRIENDS' COROLLA SITTING RIGHT BEHIND ME!
    So i run into the front left side of the car, and break furthest headlight on the drivers' side. The plastic casing and the light. :b [​IMG]
    How much dya think itll take to fix it? Please tell me about $300CAD or less...
    ARGH stupid me.. Happy birthday to me [​IMG] I had an okay time despite this incident.. ohwell, thats a couple of my paychecks gone [​IMG]

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    How difficult could it be to replace a headlight? I'd be willing to bet if you go to a Toyota dealership and just get the parts it would cost less than $75. I'm assuming you already have a screwdriver, a wrench, and a dash of mechanical ability. I did something similar a few years back when I broke the passenger side window on my car and the new part just snapped right in.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Hmm... that sounds much better than i was thinking... but i dont know if im able to stick it back in... it sounds pretty standard thogh... hopefully.. *sigh* [​IMG]

4. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

5. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I broke a headlight assembly on a early 90s Pathfinder, cost me almost $600USD to get it replaced.

6. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

How old is the car ? If it's a couple of years old you might be able to get one from a salvage (scrap) yard You might be surprised at what's available this way.

7. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Always unfog all windows before driving your car. At least you didn't cause more damage to your friend's car. What was he doing in your driveway by the way? He should've honked when you were backing out.

~T

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Its like a last-gen Corolla... very common...
    http://www3.telus.net/sonick/stuff/corolla.jpg
    I circled the headlight i busted in the pic.. its that light but on the drivers' side.
    He was parked in my driveway, in his car about to turn on the car. I dont think he saw me comin yet [​IMG]

9. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Hope I'm wrong but I think that you are going to have to replace the entire housing, including the headlight section. As Bruce mentioned here, the wrap around lights are usually included in the same assembly as the headlights [​IMG]
    Get a price from the Toyota dealer and make sure you are sitting down. I'd definitely take a shot at the scrap yard.

10. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

dealer auto tech here......if it is anything besides the standard round or square sealed beam ,99%of cars require replacement of the entire lamp assembly,and manufacturers are VERY proud of them price wise[​IMG] ,ck salvage yards.

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

fleabay or a salvage yard specializing in late model imports, I destroyed the instrument cluster in my altima when it was about a year old awhile ago, 400 bucks from the dealer, got one used for 35 bucks shipped [​IMG]
    besides, a new one will look like crap, it'll be perfectly clear and shiny, and the old one will look dull, use that as an excuse to your friend [​IMG]
    there are a few 93-97 corolla headlights on ebay for 50-70 bucks, BTW.

12. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Hmm, i just took a look at ebay.. i only found a couple of the MAIN headlights, not the side ones... [​IMG]
    I dont know of any scrap yards nearby either... hmm... and i doubt my friend would wanna put a used peice in there...

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

search the web for some import wreckers, I can't for the life of me remember the website to the one I bought from, it was www.aaforeign.com or something like that, but there's lots. www.woodfins.com comes to mind, but they're spendy

14. DaveMcS

DaveMcS Second Unit

15. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Ah thanks alot [​IMG]

16. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Ahem.....granted I haven't had to replace headlights since I put halogens in my 1970 240Z, but don't forget to get the headlights aligned after the repair.....nothing worse than a car with strabismus.