What's new

"UHF" wrecked my DVD player! (1 Viewer)

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
I've had my Sony 530D DVD player for about 2.5 years now, and the only problem I've had until now is the lip-sync problem (which I had fixed by Sony). Today I watched "UHF" and the video froze for few seconds during the opening credits. Then about halfway through the film, it froze again. When I pressed Stop, it displayed "C 13:00" on the screen. Now it won't play any DVDs or CDs -- it just displays "NO DISC".
Has anyone run into this problem before? I don't know for sure if the "UHF" disc is to blame, or if my DVD player just suddenly decided to stop working. I tried performing the Drive Auto Adjustment in the service menu, and it gave me an Error during the "Sled On" step.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Ian Montgomerie

Stunt Coordinator
It's likely that your disc drive suddenly died. Since I doubt it's still under warranty, it's probably time to get a new player.

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Sorry, I should have done a little more research first. Many people on AudioReview.com have reported this problem with this Sony DVD player and similar models. It's not caused by the disc. Apparently, a fuse has blown on the controller board. Here's one website describing a crude fix:
Link Removed

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Well, I've done some more research and called Sony's tech support -- they wanted $190 to fix my player, which is totally out of the question. For that money, I'd buy a brand-new player instead.

The website that I referenced above describes a fix for the Sony 560D, which uses a different controller board than my 530D. I don't see anything on my board that's labeled F for "fuse", and nothing appears to be burned out. If anyone knows of a similar fix for my 530D model, please post it here. Thanks!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sony's newest basic player, the NS315 is going for MSRP $149. A comparable model would be the NS400D (discontinued) MSRP $199, or the newer NS415 for MSRP $169.

Craig W

Second Unit
Joe,

Thanks for the link. I have a 360/Doorstop that I am going to try to fix soon.

Craig

Craig W

Second Unit
It's working. Salvaged the player with the fix above. I think I am going to do more of professional fix when I have time by running short leads to an easily replaceable fuse.

I still I want to give Sony a big FU after releasing these piece o crap players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks