"UHF" wrecked my DVD player!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Schwartz, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Joe Schwartz

Joe Schwartz Second Unit

I've had my Sony 530D DVD player for about 2.5 years now, and the only problem I've had until now is the lip-sync problem (which I had fixed by Sony). Today I watched "UHF" and the video froze for few seconds during the opening credits. Then about halfway through the film, it froze again. When I pressed Stop, it displayed "C 13:00" on the screen. Now it won't play any DVDs or CDs -- it just displays "NO DISC".
    Has anyone run into this problem before? I don't know for sure if the "UHF" disc is to blame, or if my DVD player just suddenly decided to stop working. I tried performing the Drive Auto Adjustment in the service menu, and it gave me an Error during the "Sled On" step.
    Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Ian Montgomerie

Ian Montgomerie Stunt Coordinator

It's likely that your disc drive suddenly died. Since I doubt it's still under warranty, it's probably time to get a new player.

3. Joe Schwartz

Joe Schwartz Second Unit

Sorry, I should have done a little more research first. Many people on AudioReview.com have reported this problem with this Sony DVD player and similar models. It's not caused by the disc. Apparently, a fuse has blown on the controller board. Here's one website describing a crude fix:
    http://www.ben-morris.net/dvd/

4. Joe Schwartz

Joe Schwartz Second Unit

Well, I've done some more research and called Sony's tech support -- they wanted $190 to fix my player, which is totally out of the question. For that money, I'd buy a brand-new player instead.

The website that I referenced above describes a fix for the Sony 560D, which uses a different controller board than my 530D. I don't see anything on my board that's labeled F for "fuse", and nothing appears to be burned out. If anyone knows of a similar fix for my 530D model, please post it here. Thanks!

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Sony's newest basic player, the NS315 is going for MSRP $149. A comparable model would be the NS400D (discontinued) MSRP $199, or the newer NS415 for MSRP $169.

6. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

Joe,

Thanks for the link. I have a 360/Doorstop that I am going to try to fix soon.

Craig

7. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

It's working. Salvaged the player with the fix above. I think I am going to do more of professional fix when I have time by running short leads to an easily replaceable fuse.

I still I want to give Sony a big FU after releasing these piece o crap players.