uhf/vhf antanna

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by tommyY, Nov 8, 2005.

1. tommyY

tommyY Auditioning

I know that you say there is no "dumb" question but i beleve i have one. I just bought a rca 52" rear projection tv model number p52923 from a friend, I also have just moved into our new house and have not got cable hooked up yet so i need an antanna to watch regular tv till the cable guy comes but for some reason i can not get the antanna to work i have tried everything i know of any help getting this to work would be great. thanks in advance

Tommy

2. joseph westcott

joseph westcott Second Unit

What kind of antenna did you get and where is it located?

I am not familiar with this model but do you know if it has a built in tuner to support over the air signals?

3. tommyY

tommyY Auditioning

it is just a cheap antanna "rabbit ears" from walmart my friend said he had regular tv on it at one time just could not remember how to do it.
    as far as the tuner it has an option for uhf/vhf antanna and cable tv if that is what you are talking about

4. joseph westcott

joseph westcott Second Unit

You would have to read the specs on your display device to determine whether or not this setting on your tv can accept digital over the air signals. I have a feeling you will only be able to receive analog signals via this input but I could be wrong. You will know if you find more than one channel for each local station.

Let me know what you find.

5. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    I don't think it's the antenna. I used a pair of rabbit ears for a month or so until I got the roof antenna hooked up. And my roof antenna is a standard UHF/VHF. They both work fine with my HD TV. (Though the rabbit ears were quite ammusing to have on top of the high def screen!) The signal conversion, if desired, is performed within the usually separate HD converter.

Did you set the moitor to receive (and rescan) the over the air signal? A lot of times the monitor comes preconfigured to look for a cable signal.

6. tommyY

tommyY Auditioning

the antanna says it is for hdtv so i think i have that part covered and as far as the monitor ability to tecive uhf and vhf as well as cable and i have selected it to find the uhf vhf signal