What's new

UHD vs 4K (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Sy
Hello,

Bit of a n00b question but what if anything is the difference between UHD and 4K? For example I am interested in the movie Fury. Over at Amazon I see a blu-ray with a UHD for Ultraviolet and an actual blu-ray 4K version of the film.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=fury+4k

Bit of a price difference so I am only thinking one provides a disk at 4K while the other provides a blu-ray and an online code for UHD (4K?). Correct or something else entirely?

thanks for your help.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The UHD would just be referring to a streaming version with a resolution of up to 3840x2160, which is what is considered "home 4k". Technically its not really 4K as the full 4k resolution is actually 4096x2160, however that creates a 1.90:1 ratio that's not compatible with most broadcast standards so instead we have this slightly smaller ratio.

Now I don't know if these Ultraviolet copies have HDR applied to them, but that would be the main selling point to get the disc version assuming you have a player.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I clicked on your link, and that film has not been released on 4K UHD Blu-ray yet. The two Blu-ray editions shown are 1080p Blu-ray. Both offer an HD Ultraviolet copy. Do not be fooled by the term Mastered in 4K, as it means absolutely nothing, other than a slightly higher bitrate and possibly no extras.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maltby
Recent bookmarks