What's new

UHD UHD General Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I drew the line after 1080p, it's ideal even for large home projectors. But after replacing LDs for DVDs and then BDs, you know when enough is enough…)

Same here. I just can't justify another upgrade, and certainly for one that will be very short on catalog titles. After seeing DVD stick around for a decade into BD's lifespan, I have no concerns that BD will stick around for new releases for a good while still. And in regards to catalog, don't expect many UHDs beyond the "evergreen" titles.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Same here. I just can't justify another upgrade, and certainly for one that will be very short on catalog titles. After seeing DVD stick around for a decade into BD's lifespan, I have no concerns that BD will stick around for new releases for a good while still. And in regards to catalog, don't expect many UHDs beyond the "evergreen" titles.
In my case, finances simply won't allow for any upgrade, at present, and I don't foresee any change in that. That our biggest screen is 32" with 720p resolution, which isn't even fully optimal for Blu-ray, let alone UHD-BD, I simply see no need to go beyond 1080p Blu-ray at this point. Any upgrade will occur as necessary replacement, only.

Power to those who have upgraded, and others who want, and are able to do so in the foreseeable future.

CHEERS! :)

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
Well, HDR is an entirely different animal, I agree that a higher dynamic range of contrast and colors is welcome, it's that the resolution side of this UHD what I think it overblown. At least from my perspective. Besides, most movies that benefit from 4K are the recent ones shot on raw digital cameras, the older ones shot on 35mm film not so much and the majority will not receive a proper rescanning and just use upscaling when the remastering for UHD is done.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
May 1st I'll be upgrading to a 65" Samsung HDR 4K and a Samsung 4K player. I will also be upgrading my receiver. So excited to make the upgrade in a few months.
Good for you John! My 4K/UHD upgrade was the best one I made in years. I'm ready to upgrade my receiver too, but I want to see the 2017 models first before I do so later this year.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Good for you John! My 4K/UHD upgrade was the best one I made in years. I'm ready to upgrade my receiver too, but I want to see the 2017 models first before I do so later this year.
I've been reading a lot of members opinions and thoughts. Especially yours. It seems you are really loving 4k and makes me excited for the upgrade.
Deadpool and X-men are my first UHD purchases.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
James Finn, when I asked if there was a chance of Planet of the Apes arriving on UHD, you said
"not sure it will work but we will have a look."

We just celebrated the 50th anniversary of its theatrical release a month ago, have you any news of an upcoming UHD release to celebrate the occasion? Any news would be most welcome.
Thank you,
Bryan

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
James Finn, when I asked if there was a chance of Planet of the Apes arriving on UHD, you said
"not sure it will work but we will have a look."

We just celebrated the 50th anniversary of its theatrical release a month ago, have you any news of an upcoming UHD release to celebrate the occasion? Any news would be most welcome.
Thank you,
Bryan
Finn was last seen around here about two years ago. Don’t hold your breath for an answer. ;)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I don't think I will ever forgive Fox for missing the 50th of Planet Of The Apes with a 4K no show. Not to sound entitled, but I actually expected it given their past attention to the film on milestone dates.

2001: A Space Odyssey got all the attention, and love it deserved for its 50th, and POTA....nothing. No theatrical re-release, no UHD
(not even in digital form).

Sad.

DalekFlay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dane M.
I don't think I will ever forgive Fox for missing the 50th of Planet Of The Apes with a 4K no show. Not to sound entitled, but I actually expected it given their past attention to the film on milestone dates.

Once Disney takes over I'd guess their same strategy of only remastering their huge classics will take over as well. Planet of the Apes still qualifies though, so hopefully we still see it someday.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Im continuing to try and save for a UHd tv. I am thinking about an lg Oled but I saw this one yesterday at Target.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business...rs-amazing-4k-uhd-picture-quality-fits-budget

To be honest the pricing may be more in my range.

I’m either going to go with the lg UHd Blu Ray player or a Sony one.

I’m also curious to see where the Oled market goes this year. It would be great if price cuts and more competition happens with the Oled market.

I was surprised to read how good reviews are for the TCL. It may be a good backup option as budget is a big sticking point for me.

Can anyone speak to the TCL series? I understand it’s led and not Oled and that the Oled picture is superior.

I have a Panasonic g series plasma currently that has been fantastic. I’m not sure what I will end up doing with it. I don’t believe it would bring much in resell?

Thanks!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Can anyone speak to the TCL series?

Sure -- I purchased a TCL Series 6 model in December, the 55" one. It's their top of the line set. It was $599, and Best Buy offered a very extensive protection plan including in home service for five years, for an extra $120, so I opted for that as well. I'm usually not an extended warranty guy but this time it seemed like a good deal at a reasonable price.

Here's a link to the thread I started about my TV when I was deciding what to get - it also has my impressions on the set since I've had it:
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...s-vs-vizio-p-series-or-something-else.359726/

The short version is that I'm extremely satisfied with this TV. It was replacing an LG plasma, and in just about every measurable way, it's a major improvement. (The only area it loses out on is that my LG plasma did 3D, but the TCL does not - but there is not a single brand new TV being made today that does 3D, so it would seem unfair to single out TCL for this.) The black levels are simply phenomenal. Color and contrast are great, detail is great, it's more accurate out of the box than I expected... it's performing well above what you'd expect for a TV in this price range.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Sure -- I purchased a TCL Series 6 model in December, the 55" one. It's their top of the line set. It was $599, and Best Buy offered a very extensive protection plan including in home service for five years, for an extra $120, so I opted for that as well. I'm usually not an extended warranty guy but this time it seemed like a good deal at a reasonable price.

Here's a link to the thread I started about my TV when I was deciding what to get - it also has my impressions on the set since I've had it:
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...s-vs-vizio-p-series-or-something-else.359726/

The short version is that I'm extremely satisfied with this TV. It was replacing an LG plasma, and in just about every measurable way, it's a major improvement. (The only area it loses out on is that my LG plasma did 3D, but the TCL does not - but there is not a single brand new TV being made today that does 3D, so it would seem unfair to single out TCL for this.) The black levels are simply phenomenal. Color and contrast are great, detail is great, it's more accurate out of the box than I expected... it's performing well above what you'd expect for a TV in this price range.

Fantastic! I really appreciate the feedback. This was a brand and led for that matter that was not even on my radar.

I noticed the viewing angle was better than most led tvs that I have seen before too. Thoughts?

Thanks again. I’ll jump on over to the other thread too!

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! OH, DAMN YOU! GOD***N YOU ALL TO HELL!
(spoiler alert!)
If you're going to spoil, at least go all in. The character was talking about a balloon that he had been saving for a very special occasion. He had every right to be upset.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks