What's new

UHD Blu-ray Player Shopping Question (1 Viewer)

Tahoebrian5

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Okay I went from I don't have any budget for toys to I bought a 65" Vizio QLED TV and an Integra DXR2.1 receiver. I am now on the hunt for an UHD blueray player.

Question.. since my receiver processes sound and video, can I just get a basic stripped down player and HDMI it to the receiver and let the receiver do the work?

Please, any info, opinions or links you can shoot over to help edumucate me will be appreciated. Thanks!

Tahoebrian5

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Right, I get that. My question is will a basic uhd blueray player work or do I need the models advertising Dolby Atmos etc, if I want to listen in that mode, or other picture modes. Won’t the Integra decode this type of stuff so I don’t need advance feature on the player? Also does hdr need to be supported or can it get processed later in the chain with receiver or tv? I don’t understand how this works.. if this stuff just gets passed along hdmi until it gets decoded or if every piece needs to have it.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
UHURA: The ball is bl-u-ee. Bl-u-ey. Bluey?

bluee.jpg

sorry...carry on, yep!!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
If your receiver can decode Atmos, any legit player can bitstream the code that your receiver can then decode for Atmos. I believe Vizio TVs can do HDR and DOlby Vision, so you'll want a player that can send either of those to the TV: Samsung players don't do Dolby Vision. Neither do first generation Sony or Philips players.

But 2017/2018 models of Sony (X700), LG (90), Panasonic (820) and Philips (7502) do both.

And Sony has announced a new version of the X800 for later this year (March) that will do both.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Question to @Tahoebrian5: Are you interested in also going Region-Free with your planned purchase?
( It is an important consideration nowadays).

I myself am looking to add a second UHD Blu-ray player (Region Free). New one would go to my main HT while the current Sony X700 (Region Free) would move to my bedroom TV (also a 4K set).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
But 2017/2018 models of Sony (X700), LG (90), Panasonic (820) and Philips (7502) do both.

And Sony has announced a new version of the X800 for later this year (March) that will do both.

The upcoming Panny UB450 should also do both, but not sure when it's coming out.

Also, you might want go for a player w/ 2 HDMI outputs in case you need to route one directly to the display and the other to the receiver for sound or the like due to potential HDMI and/or syncing issues and whatever else. I think most, if maybe not quite all, of the ones that do both HDR10 and Dolby Vision come w/ 2 HDMI outs.

Personally, I would suggest sticking w/ either the Pannys or Sonys... though the Panny UB820 is probably more than you want to spend -- I went w/ the Sony X700 during the holiday shopping season myself. I guess LG may also have matured enough nowadays to be worth considering as well, but no idea about the Phillips...

Question to @Tahoebrian5: Are you interested in also going Region-Free with your planned purchase?
( It is an important consideration nowadays).

I myself am looking to add a second UHD Blu-ray player (Region Free). New one would go to my main HT while the current Sony X700 (Region Free) would move to my bedroom TV (also a 4K set).

Just to be clear, UHD discs do not use region coding, so region free hacks are probably all for BDs and DVDs, not UHD... although AFAIK the UHD spec does require all UHD players to come w/ functionality to allow the studios to choose to lock playback on a per disc (or is it per title?), per player(?) basis(!) at anytime in the future (via internet connection), but the studios are not likely to ever actually use that functionality (assuming it's still part of the current spec) -- they probably wanted it included just in case... Don't know if some players could be hacked to defeat that functionality, so not sure if any currently available hacks are doing that.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks