Uh-Oh! Pioneer 49TX - No Sound! - Anyone Advice?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Rich H, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Rich H

Rich H Second Unit

Hi folks,

I've had my Pioneer 49TX receiver for a couple years. Over the past couple days a couple of time the reciever went silent, sending out no sound signal, but otherwise working (it was on, switching my video signals fine...just no sound). This happened at the end of last night, following a day of pretty much normal use (maybe a tiny bit more use than normal, a few hours). The next morning it worked again. Earlier tonight the sound stopped again (in that it had been off for about 1/2 hour and I turned it on to find no sound). After a few hours I turn it on again and the sound is working again.

Any ideas? Does this ring a bell for those who own the 49TX? Gad...I don't wanna have to get this monster outta my rack and send it in.

(BTW, I do know of the "shut down" problem people used to have with the 49TX. But I understand that was when trying to drive low ohm speakers at loud volumes. I'm using 8 ohm speakers at very moderate volumes).

Many thanks for any insights.

2. Hogan Lew

Hogan Lew Auditioning

Rich,

Are you sure it's the receiver and not the source? I had this problem with my original 29TX (common problem affecting a lot of the receivers in this series) so I traded it in to Pioneer for the 49TXi. I had the 49TXi for about a year and then one night a couple of months ago I also lost audio. I thought sh*t, not again. The problem went away but it came back about a week later. This time, I switched the receiver to a different source and this time there was sound. I switched back to the DVD player and no sound. I then cycled power on the DVD player and then the sound came back. So I concluded that the problem was not with the receiver, but with my DVD player (an old Panasonic A310). The problem seemed to only happen when I switched to playing a DVD after listening to a CD. Only happened to me twice and cycling power on the DVD player seemed to fix it so I'm not too worried about it. Hope this helps.

-- Hogan

3. Rich H

Rich H Second Unit

Thanks for the reply Hogan. I'll try some of the things you tried next time it happens and report back.

Seems over at AVSforum several other people have had similar problems with the 49TX.

4. Hogan Lew

Hogan Lew Auditioning

Rich,

Hopefully things will work out for you. Personally, I'd rather replace the DVD player than the AV receiver. My original 29TX was "repaired" twice by Pioneer and when it came time for the third repair, I complained to the customer rep and they arranged to take the 29TX back and let me upgrade to the 49TXi. It was a big pain in the *ss to rewire all the I/O each time but I made my life easier by buying tie-wrap with attached labels so I could mark where each of the wires connected to on the receiver. Just a suggestion if you end up having to disconnect everything.

-- Hogan