What's new

Uh oh! just got an unwelcome surprise with Star Trek: TOS #29!! (1 Viewer)

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
Maybe it's the curse that comes with loving great late '60s / early '70s television.
Remember those godawful "grip of death" keepcases that came with the first-released Monty Python's Flying Circus DVDs? Well, like the proverbial bad penny, one has turned up again... with my copy of Star Trek; The Original Series vol. 29.
Martin, my man, if you're out there, stop this travesty now! Either that, or I've got to plan another "pick up some AOL cases" trip to Circuit City.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
This "grip of death" keepcase thing is new to me...care to explain it?
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
My 3-year-old enjoying Superman - The Movie in widescreen:
Steve_Widescreen.jpg

(Some of my DVD's are to the left side of the picture)

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Keepcases with a retaining mechanism that is utterly unwilling to release the disc, increasing the risk that you will bend the disc while removing it.
------------------
/Kimmo

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Those ones that dont release also break a lot. I was at bestbuy yesterday and picked up 5 josie and the pussycat dvd's and you can hear all of the discs moving around. I finally found 1 that was fine. I got home and a package waiting with the 2 new trek dvd's and enemy at the gates. Every single one of them had a broken spindle but the discs were fine. Glad i have some replacement cases
capt

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Todd,
I agree those "Grip of Death" keepcases have got to go. "Star Trek The Original Series Vol 30" has the same case. Thank God I have replacement cases for that. I'd like to know from Martin Blythe why the inconsistency with the type of cases being used? Most are no problem but now these "Grip of Death Keepcases"?? What Gives??
------------------
Ed Vandeweerd
[email protected]
my collection

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
"Star Trek The Original Series Vol 30" has the same case.
Only my Vol. 29 has this style of case. It seems appropriate that Vol. 30 should come with a "grip of death" type case. Afterall, The Enterprise Incident is on that disc. :)
Neil
------------------
"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
[NOT-SO-DEEPLY REPRESSED TREKKIE TONE]
C'mon Neil! You know there's no such thing as a Vulcan Death Grip!
[/NOT-SO-DEEPLY REPRESSED TREKKIE TONE]

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I saw the same thing Joey saw at Best Buy but with Enemy at the Gates. I didn't even notice the one I picked up was loose until I saw someone else put his back on the shelf and take another. I checked mine and realized the disk as flopping around in there. So I went over to another display and checked a few until I found one that wasn't loose. I just checked and it has six stiff spoke like things holding the disk in. I don't know if its the same as ST, but it sucks all the same.
Now my Monty Python are a different story. The first ones are in a springy kind of thing wtih three grippers that work well. Later ones are in the good keep case style with the the two piece mechanism that squeezes in when you push and releases the disk nicely.
You'd think the manufacturers would take note of which cases are good and which are bad. I've received several that were loose, but they all worked, but I'm sure some end up returned. That can't be good for the manufacturers.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Are these the ones that you have to pinch the top of the spindal to get out? If so, I find it very easy to remove.
BTW, did anyone notice the color of the cover for volume 24 is different from the others? It's yellow instead of orange. I thought some how my cover got faded but it's like that all around and so are the ones I see at the stores.
Jeff
[Edited last by Jeff on August 20, 2001 at 03:47 AM]

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Are these the ones that you have to pinch the top of the spindal to get out? If so, I find it very easy to remove.
The pinch-the-top ones are Alpha cases (these also have a "LIFT HERE" finger-hole), and are easy to get the discs out once you get used to them.
The "grip o'death" keepcases are Scanavo cases, and these have six totally inflexible prongs which make it impossible to remove the disc without bending it into a taco shell. There's no button to press, and the prongs DON'T BEND no matter what you do.
As a rule, when I get one of these, once I get the disc out I don't put it back in there, ever. I'll put it into a spare Amaray, Alpha, or AOL case.
KJP

Sherry H.

Grip
Grip of death?
laugh.gif
Hmm...this seems to be an accurate description of these cases. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who had a problem getting the disc out of these cases, with the exception of Star Trek: TOS Vol. 30 which arrived with the mechanism broken, the disc having already liberated itself from the grip of death. It also came complete with scratches from the little pieces of plastic that were floating around the case. Amazingly, there didn't seem to be any damage. Now I need to replace that case.
Sherry

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Since I stopped buying the ST:TOS discs, this has not been a problem for me. But may I suggest that y'all just ditch the cases in favor of a CD-storage notebook? You'll save tons of shelf space, and have all the discs together in one hand-holdable case.
I got one of the larger notebooks and have room for all the X-Files and Sopranos I'll ever buy.
End of problem! :)
- Steve
------------------
gotremo.jpg

Got Remo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpj23