Uh oh...is my reciever done.......

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bernie_A, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Bernie_A

Bernie_A Stunt Coordinator

I have a Pioneer VSX-810S and just today I was listening to my new Swan 5.2's and I am not sure what I hear but it's coming from the right channel and it sounds like a short high-pitched chirp or scratch. It's intermitten and only seems to happen when it's turned up a little. Anyone?

FYI- I just pulled out an older RCA cd-player just to get some listening in while I save up for a nice one. Could this be a possible source. I've had the speakers hooked up since last week Friday and this is the first time I've listened to CD's. I have not noticed anything wrong while watching movies.

TIA

2. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

I'll guess the player. You could connect to another input to verify. Good luck

3. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    Try playing the cds in the dvd player.......... [​IMG]

4. Bernie_A

Bernie_A Stunt Coordinator

You know what? I had reason to suspect the CD player also which is why I brought it up. I played the same CD in a brand new Sony CD/DVD and not only did the "noise" go away, it sounds better, too.

Peace out!

5. RolandM

RolandM Stunt Coordinator

Yeah probably a problem with the player. Also make certain you didn't hook it up to a PHONO input (if that receiver has one). PHONO, unbeknowst to many, is just that--it is ONLY for record players requiring the standard RIAA-equaliser stage before amplification.

I'm only suggesting a check on this because what you describe is sometimes what you get when you connect something like a CD player or other audio source to a PHONO input, though it would probably be from both channels not just the one...