UH OH- In-Walls ordered, but can they be used on outside wall?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Josh Mc, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Josh Mc

Josh Mc Extra

Hello All,

Well, I made a quick decision to buy a package from Vann's that included a Pioneer VSX-815S and a pair of Klipsch SCW-3 in-walls for our tv room in a new construction.

I had planned to use the in-walls for the sides, while using my existing bookshelves for rears, but got to thinking this morning, and realized that the left side speaker would be on an outside wall.

Is this possible for in-wall speakers? I have read that it is bad to insulate the wall for the speakers, but being an outside wall I don't think this is an option.

My rear wall is an outside wall also, so I think my only other option would be to use the in-walls in the ceiling for the rears, and the bookshelves on the sides.

Anyone have an opinion on this situation?

Thanks,
    Josh

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

It might sound better. Seriously. What you'll have to do is pull out a small amount of insulation so the speaker can fit into the cavity. Leave and inch or so on the outside wall - behind the speaker to ensure some inusulation exists.

3. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Josh,
    I just did a search on this subject and one factor seems to be extremes of temperature and a possibility of condensation.
    Mention was made of penetrating the vapor barrier but I thought vapor barriers were just under the exterior siding or brick so I don't see why that would be a problem.
    Bose says not to install theirs upside down because of condensation concerns but you weren't going to use Bose speakers anyway. Were you? [​IMG]

Many inwall speakers are designed to use that whole 3 1/2" space.

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I've got inwalls installed in outside walls and it hasn't been an issue for me.