ugrade from an xbox

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by rob hoinsky, Dec 30, 2003.

1. rob hoinsky

rob hoinsky Auditioning

right now i use an xbox as my dvd player, but i notice a lot of grainyness and i know the quality should be a lot better on my TVs(30" crt widescreen samsung and 46" RP widescreen mitsubishi). i am looking to spend about $300 and i saw the denon 910 for $228, which seems like it should be a big step up. is there anuthing else that i can find online taht would suit me better? dvd-a and sacd arent important to me.

2. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

are you using the High-def pack for video on the xbox? I assume so, the Xbox will do Progessive scan.

3. david kennedy

david kennedy Stunt Coordinator

Is the xbox really progressive scan i though that was one of the knocks about the xbox that the dvd was not a progressive scan . But if it is then you just saved me a couple of hundred bucks.

4. Robert Spalding

5. Tom Martin

Tom Martin Stunt Coordinator

wait a sec, my xbox lets you pick what output you're using for the games, 480, 720, 1080. does it also work for movies?

6. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

uhhhh, Xbox is only progressive scan for some games. Movies are not shown in Prog. scan.

Please correct me if I'm wrong though, and show me where it says that the XBox shows movies in Prog. Scan.

7. craig_curtis

craig_curtis Stunt Coordinator

Craig
    that is my almost exact same setup and question... big thing i don't like about the xbox is its onscreen controls. even though i'm using the advanced AV connectors, i think for movies it would be better to have something that is dedicated as a movie player, not a do-it-all like a game console.

my budget is about $300, and i could care less about SACD or any of that since it will be about 99.9% video.

looking at the denon 910, but keep reading about the chroma bug.. does it have the problem? other players to consider?

8. Robert Spalding

Well, I need to apologize...apperently it can do Progressive scan (it obviously can do Hi-Def with certain games, I.E. Grand Theft Auto in 1080i and some others in 720p) but the software was not prgrammed to do it for movies. strange.

9. Tom Martin

according to MS, xbox can only play movies in interlaced mode. but one person tole me it can only play them in 480i and yet another one said it can play them in 1080i. so...which is it?

10. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

the xbox only supports 480i for movies, which is not really it's main problem. It's main problem is that it is just all all around sucky DVD player with poor video porcessors and so on.

It can do 720p for some games, if they are porgramemd to support it.

11. Tom Martin

Microsoft assured me it can play movies in 1080i. i haven't tried it for myself yet, though.

12. Tom Martin

Forget it. there is NO 1080i on xbox. i just bought the hd a/v cable and dvd player. only has 480i. back to the store it goes.