What's new

ugrade from an xbox (1 Viewer)

rob hoinsky

Auditioning
right now i use an xbox as my dvd player, but i notice a lot of grainyness and i know the quality should be a lot better on my TVs(30" crt widescreen samsung and 46" RP widescreen mitsubishi). i am looking to spend about $300 and i saw the denon 910 for $228, which seems like it should be a big step up. is there anuthing else that i can find online taht would suit me better? dvd-a and sacd arent important to me.

david kennedy

Stunt Coordinator
Is the xbox really progressive scan i though that was one of the knocks about the xbox that the dvd was not a progressive scan . But if it is then you just saved me a couple of hundred bucks.

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
wait a sec, my xbox lets you pick what output you're using for the games, 480, 720, 1080. does it also work for movies?

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
uhhhh, Xbox is only progressive scan for some games. Movies are not shown in Prog. scan.

Please correct me if I'm wrong though, and show me where it says that the XBox shows movies in Prog. Scan.

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig
that is my almost exact same setup and question... big thing i don't like about the xbox is its onscreen controls. even though i'm using the advanced AV connectors, i think for movies it would be better to have something that is dedicated as a movie player, not a do-it-all like a game console.

my budget is about $300, and i could care less about SACD or any of that since it will be about 99.9% video.

looking at the denon 910, but keep reading about the chroma bug.. does it have the problem? other players to consider?

Robert Spalding

Second Unit
Well, I need to apologize...apperently it can do Progressive scan (it obviously can do Hi-Def with certain games, I.E. Grand Theft Auto in 1080i and some others in 720p) but the software was not prgrammed to do it for movies. strange.

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
according to MS, xbox can only play movies in interlaced mode. but one person tole me it can only play them in 480i and yet another one said it can play them in 1080i. so...which is it?

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
the xbox only supports 480i for movies, which is not really it's main problem. It's main problem is that it is just all all around sucky DVD player with poor video porcessors and so on.

It can do 720p for some games, if they are porgramemd to support it.

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Microsoft assured me it can play movies in 1080i. i haven't tried it for myself yet, though.

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Forget it. there is NO 1080i on xbox. i just bought the hd a/v cable and dvd player. only has 480i. back to the store it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks