Ugly yellow "French version included" messages on Disney releases in Canada

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kanwar Sandhu, Oct 14, 2001.

1. Kanwar Sandhu

Why oh why is Disney doing this? Can't they just put a sticker on the plastic wrap the DVD is packaged in? The yellow circle denoting that a french version is included is seriously killing the artwork on the DVD covers.
    Every other studio puts a sticker on the case, or mentions it on the back where the description of the DVD features is. I wish Disney would do the same for their Canadian releases.
    Snow White is the latest casuality. I can't stand it...

2. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

I agree. Ugly. They can modify the artwork, but the yellow spot looks completely out of place. But then again, I don't like the "THX" insignia either.
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

3. Patrick Lisabelle

Patrick Lisabelle Auditioning

I think there are other thing to whine than a little circle on a cover art. You guys never fail to amaze me!

4. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

You're right of course Patrick, but we're picky. [​IMG] However, I always think it's more appropriate to leave cover art intact and just list the language info etc. where it's supposed to be... on the back.
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

5. Peter_A

Peter_A Second Unit

Why they have to list it on the front at all still amazes me. Not to sound politically incorrect or anything, but outside of Quebec, that French track is probably useful to what, 1% of the population? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Peter

6. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

I really don't care if the sticker is outside the shrinkwrap... If it's on the actual case, then I have a problem.
    Here in Quebec, we have lots of useless stickers outside the shrinkwrap. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780-2.html
    MY TOP 20 OF 2001

7. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

My "Princess Mononoke" DVD, imported from Canada, had a much more elegant solution - reversible sleeve artwork with English language on one side and French language on the other.

8. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

In a more positive note, I watched the French version on my U.S. DVD last night. I enjoyed the visual changes (opening credits, names of the dwarfs on their beds) and thought that the voices, particularly Snow's were actually better then the English ones. I also thought the sound quality of the music was better as well. Any comments?
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Peter Kline on October 15, 2001 at 07:44 AM]

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    It does make sense to just put a little cheap sticker on the outside wrapper instead of having to print 2 or 3 different covers. It does not really bother me though.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Peter, that little "Feature" is the reason why our audio tracks are locked on Disney titles, because they think J6P is too stupid to not play with the audio button and have mismatched titles
    Jeff Kleist

11. Marty Neudel

Marty Neudel Stunt Coordinator

> they think J6P is too stupid to not play with the audio button<
    Or, maybe they think that Snow White might be watched by small children who would be unable to coordinate the audio button.
    Marty

12. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

This all has to do with the Quebecian Government being so anal about making people believe movies should be watched in french.
    • They force video rental places to show movies in store in french. To stock more copies of the french version (Well, for VHS that is, DVDs have both on them)
    • Newspapers and magazines announcing and/or reviewing movies never say the proper title of the movie.
    • When announcing big oscar winners coming out on DVD (Latest example - Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon) they too put that big Bubble saying that a french version is included... But when American Beauty and Gladiator came out on DVD... No french, No Ad!
    • A well known Language Courses institute here in Montreal shows many ads on TVs about people being in situations where learning to speak english would be required. They made one about a guy complaining about the translation of a movie he just saw... They were never allowed to air it. (Or so I heard).
    I guess OAR is not the only thing we need to educate people about...

13. IanS

IanS Stunt Coordinator

Don't even start with the Quebec thing again.
    Don't get me going.
    Ian