What's new

Ugly Subwoofer? Do this! (1 Viewer)

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Well,
I just finished up building my sub-box and I have yet another subwoofer to look at..
I was so sick of the plain wooden box and the drab-plain looking black sub.
So, here's what I did
For the sub box--
Bought a huge roll of BLACK CONTACT PAPER. This suff just sticks on your sub box like magic! Forget veneer or paint, just buy a $5 roll of this stuff.
For the subwoofer itself--
Until I can upgrade to better subwoofers, I'm using some nicer car subwoofers... plain black ones..
So, you know what I did?
I painted them with regular white house paint..
And they look like these:
Link Removed
Hope ya like it,
Nathan

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Sheesh, that's one kick butt set up there. My first DIY sub had the woodgrain contact paper, but the damn thing was still so big it continued to be an eyesore. I do recall first asking Home Depot for the black contact paper and they didn't have it. Maybe I'll tryit with my DIY subs

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
All I can say is, glad their your subs and not mine.
Never paint a Sub Driver cone with, (as Nathan says), house paint! Not a smart thing to do.....
Nathan please post a shot of you standing next to your very impressive Subs and Screen!
Boy they sure look great though!
Geoff
Oh, now I see, these are not yours.:b
Hummm, maybe you should give us a pic of yours, rather than someone elses stuff. I at least, would really like to see some pic's of your subs with contact papered cabinets and painted driver cones! ;)

RicP

Screenwriter
You painted the driver cones with house paint? :confused:
I have to leave this thread now before I start to get dizzy...

NathanP

Supporting Actor
No!!!!!!
I only painted the dust-cap NOT the cones..
I'm not that dumb;) ;)
And Geoff, thank you for reminding me..
No, that is not my setup, I have no Digital camera, so I found an example on a website I had already been to.
I just painted the cones because of the ugly logo on it,

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Dern,

I do wish I had a camera..

I made the contact paper look quite nice..

Instead of bland MDF, I have a nice jet black finish.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I am looking at the photo, plus reading the comment of using car subwoofers. The first thing that came to mind was "whitewall woofers!".
Sorry, that's about all I can add to this thread. :)
Michael

NathanP

Supporting Actor
I'm still trying to decide if I should spend a little money (and have more money for a crt projector) and buy better car subwoofers or spend a bunch more (and be broke for a month or two) on Dual Daytons or Shivas.

I'm just getting really sick of them cutting out at 30 hertz!

Well,

I hopefully I can get a picture up someday of my precious new DIY dual subwoofer box..

Nathan

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't your school or one of your friends at least have a scanner. Go buy a cheap disposable camera, take a bunch of pictures, develop and scan.

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Dustin--

You Really want a picture, don't you?

Yes, I have a scanner.

But, I'm a bit broke after I've spent all of my moo-lah on MDF and contact paper, so I wouldn't be able to get some pictures done.

Um, I don't go to school either..

I school at home.

I'll probably borrow a digital camera or something.. Dad's an A/V enginner, so I'm sure he's got a couple cameras at work.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Did you seriously do that to your subs??? Thankgod you did them to POS subs and not some nice Shiva's, or ANYTHING over $50 in price. How are you going to afford 2 tempests if Contact paper and MDF broke your bank account??

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Nathan please post a shot of you standing next to your very impressive Subs and Screen!
I'll see if I can get Nathan to come over for a picture in front of the screen! I hope Utah's not too far away Nathan?

My subs (shown above) are 6 year old DIY 15"ers with the black material grills off. The speakers are not painted but are made of white treated paper.

Wes

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Personally I'd rather see a product with a nice grain pattern than a plain back finish. But I guess that's my Wood Science background talking.

If you're looking for a good bass fix, buy a pair of Bass Shakers, they are well worth the money.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Awwww....:frowning: I happen to like my black finish. Now I guess I'll have to start all over again. Damn you!
Haha, just messin with ya.;)
Dan Hine

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Wes--

I'll come by for dinner.. say six 'o clock?

Cam--

All of my moo-lah is going into a "projector fund".

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Nathan,

Here's a little tweak to your tweak. Next time, instead of painting over the logo on the dust cap, get some nail polish remover and some cotton balls. Acetone will take the logo off of the dust cap!

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Nathan,
I'm a tad confused about one thing. You say your painted subs look like the ones in the picture above but then you say that you only painted the dust caps. So wouldn't they look the exact OPPOSITE of the subs pictured? I am just trying to get a mental image here...
Does anyone else think that those subs start to look like a pair of eyes staring out you? Weird...:)
Dan Hine

NathanP

Supporting Actor
:laugh:
I did do the very opposite of the picture..
But, I decided to give something of reference..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks