Ugliest Dog (1 Viewer)

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
That Snopes picture is even worse!

Behold:

EDIT:
I updated the photo with one from the LA Times. It seems that Snopes won't let me link the photo.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
What kind of pet owner enters their dog in this contest?

I hate to stomp on the fun here but that dog is obviously super old. It has cataracts and probably can't see a thing.
The snopes site reads it also has lung, kidney and heart problems and won't live much longer. Yet this pet owner Susie Lockheed, even though she says she loves and babies him, will drag him to a contest and plop him on a table hoping to repulse the judges.

That's what makes me recoil in repulsion!

[/end soapbox rant] :D

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Dear Cthulhu, it looks like the "thing on the wing of the plane!" from the Terror at 20,000 feet segment of Twilight Zone The Movie

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I agree with Rich. I can't believe that this lady is capitalizing on the mis-fortunes of this poor wretched animal.
It should be put out of it's misery.
What's she gonna for an encore? Head to the nursing home to look for the worlds ugliest human? See what kind of fame that will pull in?

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
1st...I agree with not capitalizing on the dog. I think the whole dog show/pure bred thing is insane anyway. Best In Show isn't too far from the truth.

But I'm a huge dog lover and there's no way for us to know if the dog is suffering, per se. Snopes makes no references to his life expectancy, but at 14 years his days are certainly numbered. He may be ill but if the woman truly loves and cares for him he may still have a good quality of life. If he's still active, (for a 14 year old) has no problems eating and drinking and vets determine that he's likely not in pain then euthenasia isn't called for yet. Animals know when their time has come and the first big red flag is when they stop eating.

All that being said, I really hope this isn't a case of the owner not knowing when to let go.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
very good point. my wife's previous dog was about 15 years old. he was completely blind, nearly completely deaf, had skin rashes, etc.

but, he still ate, would respond to your (loud) claps, still went potty outside ... and slept a *lot*. :)

as far as we (and the vet) knew, he was fine. when he started couging up blood, that's when we decided it was time. but, up until the very end, we think he had a great quality of life.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor

No, but one would think that after reading this you'd see my point.

"Unfortunately, Sam is suffering from a number of age-related ailments (congestive heart failure, lung and kidney problems) and will probably make no more public appearances, so he may have to cede his "World's Ugliest Dog" crown in next year's competition."

Sorry for being so sensitive...

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Yes...he's obviously ill but that doesn't mean he should be put down. We had the mother of one of our current dogs for almost 16 years. The last 5 years or so she was battling cancer. She had several operations spread out over that time and each time more tumors were found we really asked ourselves if we were just holding on for us.

But Mony was a very happy dog the entire time. It was only the last 6 months or so that she couldn't get up on our high bed by herself. Before that, after one operation we were a little worried we might have made the wrong decision because she had a harder time with the procedure. But later on that day she hopped right up on the bed like nothing had happened. (we really didn't want her to because of the stitches...but she was fine). She slowed down considerably but she was always excited to see us and go for walks and all the fun and typical things dogs do. It wasn't until she began having siezures after a confrontation with an unleashed dog that we began to realize that it was time. But her quality of life to that point was great. We miss her.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.