Ugh... Star Wars......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Meininger, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Jeff Meininger

Jeff Meininger Second Unit

Bottomed my sub in the 1st chapter of EpII. [​IMG] Sheesh. I can't wait to set up a dedicated HT room or at least a better living room layout so I corner load the sub. Right now it's free standing in a 2-story cavern of a living room. Farfield. Poor sub.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Time to calibrate your sub into your existing HT setup.

3. Jeff Meininger

Most definitely! Radio Shack, here I come.

Calibrated or not, I think the placement of my sub is abysmal. I look forward to putting it somewhere reasonable one day. I think I'm wasting a ton of energy with the current placement.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Ditto that. I have my sub with no side wall reinforcement right now but that will be rectified once I move in the next few weeks.

5. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

my sub is on the main wall i cut a whole in the wall and shuved the back under the stairs it is a front fireing sub it is ok but i dont get the corner load

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

At 10dB under reference (with the sub a couple dB hot) didn't seem all that different to TPM bass wise to me. Didn't strain my Tempest at any point.

7. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Wow, what a colorful word, I'm gonna have to grab a dictionary:
    Webster defines: "abysmal" as and I quote: "Immeasureably Deep: Bottomless, Absolutely Wretched (living conditions of the poor)."
    Good choice of word..
    So using that word in a sentence I could say: "Dustin's Tempest has abysmal extension while Jeff's HT is abysmal."
    Anyways, don't feel invidious due to Dustin's profound mirth and walloping due to unexpected staccatos from ulterior positioning. [​IMG]

8. Jeff Meininger

Neil: do you have ANY wall reinforcement, or is it just sitting out in the open like mine? [​IMG]
    Dustin B: Yeah, yeah... I don't have a tempest. I haven't done TPM with this sub yet, but I've read here on HTF (and on Pat Sun's site!) that it can bottom a Shiva quite nicely if played too hot. So now the count is 3: LOTR:FOTR, Cast Away, and Episode II. I wonder if the AVA250's slightly greedier rumble filter would have helped. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my EBS shiva. If I had it to do again, I'd build the exact same thing. I'm confident that if I put my shiva against a wall in an averaged sized living room somewhere other than directly under the gaping opening to the entire upstairs, it would be just fine. [​IMG]
    Another reason I'm looking forward to getting the HT out of the living room: the amount of stuff that rattles around. I had everything pretty much tied down to the point where I could watch LOTR:FOTR without things rattling. But EpII seems to contain a lot of strong content at a different frequency, and now a lot of other trinkets (with different Fs values) are dancing. The worst thing, though, is the white plastic trim panel between the double-pane glass windows. You know, the grid designed to make one big window pane look like it's made of lots of smaller panes? Well, that grid rattles back and forth pretty hard and smacks the glass quite loudly. Not much I can do to prevent it... it's a sealed (gas-filled) unit. No opening it up to shim it or anything.
    Chris: you win. [​IMG]

9. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Just a side note... Attack of the Clones is at Walmart for $9.98 for a limited time... Just picked it up.

Darren

10. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

11. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

12. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Just watched AOTC last night. Gotta love the LFE in the lite sabres and the ships. I'm gonna guess that a lot of you guys have your subs a bit hot as I couldn't bottom my tempest out at reference. I have mine calibrated a bit hot and no bottoming out, looooooots of bass and the house was shaking but good clean tight bass.

Were the people that had bottoming out problems using a calibrated system or are ya bass happy kinda like I am?

Darren

13. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph

14. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    10dB under reference measured 102dB from my listening spot with my tempest during the ship explosion in the beginning.

15. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Hmm, unless my room modes are really throwing things out of whack, I just ran the opening again at 10dB below reference and I recorded a 118dB peak during the ship explosion (even broke 110 during the intial fly by) off my rat shack meter with my Tempest.

16. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

I watched the movie at full reference the last two nights and did not bottom my sub.
    A gotta love sealed designs [​IMG]

17. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam

Wow! Are you sure you aren't running HOT? That's awfully loud for 10dB below ref. This means at full ref you should hit 128dB. Was this at your listening position?

18. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Yes. It was fast response C weighting at my listening position. Speakers calibrated to 75dB and the sub swings from 72-78 during the sub tone (Avia). I have a bad room mode at 40hz. So if the louder stuff was in that range that would skew my readings.

I'll hopefully get a BFD this Christmas, I'll take proper room response measurements when I get it and see how things change.

19. Well corner loading produces the highest SPL but usually also produces the least flat room response. If you can get a high enough SPL without corner loading usually you will be better off.