What's new

ugh, one more prog DVD question... (1 Viewer)

Geordy

Stunt Coordinator
I am receiving delivery of my Hitachi 43UWX10B on Friday and I am in the market for a Prog DVD. Based on the reviews I've read, I've got it down b/w JVC (the 75 model) or the Panasonic (61 or 91).
I definitely don't want one with the chroma bug, so that is how I picked these.
My question is, are the panasonics (sp. the 91) really worth the extra bucks? should i wait a couple months to get a progressive?
please, enlighten this lost soul
geordy
------------------

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i don't have any personal experience with any of these dvd players, but you may want to check out the Link Removed .
if i recall correctly, they didn't think the 91 was "all that".
i think there's a huge thread somewhere about this whole article, you may want to try to find it. emotions ran very high.
again, i have no personal experience with any of the machines...i'm not endorsing or dis-endorsing anything here.
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Geordy

Stunt Coordinator
i have been to the shoot out tons of times. with the exception of telling me which had the chroma bug, i thought it didn't say all that much.
i really want to know if the newer JVC (the 75) is like the 723, or if it is a little less 'quirky' as they put it.
are the 5 modes really annoying/hard to use, or do you really end up using only a couple of them?
thanks
geordy
------------------

MarkRS

Auditioning
Geordy - I have the same TV. I looked at the RP-91, great unit, but could not use the DVD-A with the current receiver that I have and didn't have a huge need for the scaling. I have read that the 61 was canceled and will not be made. Not sure about this. I ended up getting the RP-56. You can find one online for roughly $225. I have been very pleased with the unit. It has the same chip as the Phillips had in the DVD shootout.
Mark

Geordy

Stunt Coordinator
ok, i checked the shootout for the phillips, and it says it has the chroma bug, in fact "it is the worst we've ever seen."
but it also says that in progressive, it is impossible to notice. when will i not be using the progressive output?
geordy

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
The RP61 unfortunately is not an option. Panasonic directed me to their order experts who told me it is not going to be released in the US. The number was 1 800 530 7227.
Peter

Geordy

Stunt Coordinator
so what's the difference between the old JVC 723 and the new JVC 75.
any help is appreciated
------------------

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,
You said
I looked at the RP-91, great unit, but could not use the DVD-A with the current receiver that I have....
Does that mean you needa special receiver to handle DVD-A.
Thanks
------------------
Jake T
--"The Things You Do In Life Echo An Eternity"
----Russel Crowe, Gladiator

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks