What's new

UGH! HAD it with Dell...! (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I definitely don't think Dell is the devil. For the price you pay you can't really go wrong. I just don't think it's a "top quality" product.

The workstation I'm on right now is a Dell P4 3.0ghz with 1gb of ram but my p2.8ghz setup at home with the same amount of ram is noticably much faster (and more reliable). I work on big memory/scratch-intensive Photoshop files, Flash, and SQL Server to name a few.

Don't mean to sound anti-Dell. For big business where the bulk of your work is simply checking email and making PDFs nobody does it better.

Fredster

Stunt Coordinator

My daily bread comes from administration on midrange Sun servers. These boxes never get rebooted except for patches and HW maintenance. For personal computing we've had mostly great experiences with Dell both at work and home.

Colin Runner

Agent
Real Name
Colin R.
Dude, have you never heard of Apple computer? They make the best quality desktops and laptops around. I've never had trouble with my iMac, and people I know have had laptops running years on end without having to reboot due to crashes or problems. Save yourself a real headache and get a Mac, they really are the best computing experience out there. Oh, and they can now run Windows if you really need it. Think they are slow? My 1.8GHz G5 blows the socks of of my friend's 3.6GHz P4. Now Apple is using new Intel chips that are even faster!

Give them a chance and you may find yourself never looking back... :)

Rommel_L

Second Unit
Yep. Apple is starting to move away from hardware wars with PC-based systems and instead concentrating to make it's OS and other software better. It would be a scary thought of seeing Macs with Intel Core 2 Duo powerplants...

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
As long as Macs stay several steps ahead of the game as far as OS goes they'll continue to be a nice niche option for users who like a slick interface and worry-free operation. I always thought Mac's GUI was something better suited for the 21st century, not XP.

Maybe Vista will change all that and Apple will have to play catch-up, but I doubt Apple will be a slouch when it comes to software.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
well, here we go again.
We have the damn laptop cooling pad and yet the computer is STILL heating up like crazy and slows to a crawl after being on about 30 minutes (the CPU will be up at 100% with just Firefox open) and will shut itself down occasionally. When powered back on, it says that it shut itself down due to overheating. I have opened it and made sure the fan is unobstructed. It's just not doing it's job properly.
We have the 5 yr. DELL extended warranty but here we go again, calling someone in India and bitching....
God, I hate this damn piece of junk Dell....

grrrrr.....

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
yeah I did and it wasn't on the list. BUT, interesting point maybe..? Should I give a go at removing the battery for a spell...?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Have you tried removing the fans and cleaning them? I'm on an Inspiron 9100 which has similar problems because of the Pentium 4 processor (just not a good portable processor, though a great powerhouse). I take the fans out every 4 months or so and clean them with a box of Q-Tips. It improves performance significantly. Since I started doing that, I haven't had any problems with my laptop.
(You'd be amazed, the vents look like a lint trap in a dryer...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks