What's new

Ugh! Buying the wrong binding posts... (1 Viewer)

Luke_Khuc

Stunt Coordinator
Please help. I mistakenly bought these for my DIY subwoofer. How in the world can I install these? The MDF is 3/4" thick and I don't really want to make it thinner to install these binding posts.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’m not sure if anyone sells binding posts for ¾” MDF, Luke, so perhaps you didn’t get the “wrong” ones after all. :) This is actually a pretty easy fix.
All you need to do is cut a hole about 3” x 2” in the MDF at the location where you want the binding posts.
Get a steel plate from the hardware store that would be used as a blank cover for a 4” x 4” electrical box. Drill holes in the center of it for the binding post (presumably observing ¾” spacing for dual banana plugs). Install the plate on the inside of the MDF panel, centering the binding posts in the 3” x 2” hole you cut. This will give you a nice-looking panel with recessed connections.
You will probably want to paint the steel plate black, for appearances. I prefer semi-gloss, but gloss or flat is fine, depending on your preferences. If so, prep and paint the plate before the posts are installed. First rough it up with #240 or #320 sandpaper, followed by #400. After sanding, drill your holes for the binding posts, then paint.
Also, make sure the plate is air-tight, properly sealed with silicone or whatever you think would work best. Make sure the sealer is under the plate, between it and the MDF; that would be much better than trying to seal around the edges of plate.
Good luck!
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Those look like binding posts used in decora wall plate. So if you wanted to mount them to a wall plate and then to the sub I don't think it would look that bad.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, for once, has the common sense advice. I love to dis young EE major whippersnappers. It makes life worthwhile. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks