1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Uggh.. F1 goes "Superpole"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Derby, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

http://www.itv-f1.com/news/news_story/13323
    OK, this is a format that I really like in WorldSuperbike. Its a made for TV qualifying session that really makes the motorcycle guys "hang it out there" for one flying lap. I wish they actually had WSB Superpole coverage in the US. Well, more coverage than the Laguna Seca round.
    I don't think this is going to make qualifying more exciting. I kinda like the free for all format that they have now. Besides, how many people think that Schuey isn't gonna nail another pole record next year?
    [​IMG]

2. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

They're hoping that this new qualifying format will throw some wild cards into the race. They're hoping that Schumacher will spin out or something and have to start from the back, or it will rain 1/2 way through the session and a Minardi is on pole. Personally I think it is pathetic. The current format is just fine and there have been some great qualifying duels... MS vs Mika at Suzuka in 2000 for instance.
    Even worse is the changes in the points 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1. Why does 8th place suddenly deserve a point? IMO winning should get an extra increase over coming second instead of third. F-1 is about building the best car, hiring the best driver and trying to crush the competition, I don't want to see it descend in to WWF/NASCAR/IRL style entertainment.
    Even a complete barbarian can understand the concept:
    "What is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women" [​IMG]
    The bad thing about this new scheme is that it makes it possible for a driver to win the WDC even though another driver has won more races. That would be like having an election and then giving the office to the guy who came in second which would be asinine. This is the reason the points were changed from 9-6-4-3-2-1 10 to 10-6-4-3-2-1.
    IF they are going to push the points back to 8th they should increase a win to 11 or 12 points. (BTW under this new system MS would still have clinched early and would have more points than he did this past season)
    Worst of all (and not related to these knee-jerk changes for the sake of change) is Spa being dropped from the calendar for next season!!! WTF? These guys (the teams) are nuts.

3. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

It goes deeper than that, there will be all kinds of strategies in place now. On Friday the order is determined by championship points, so the first guy out will be the guy leading the championship. This is big, because a track get's faster as more and more people drive on it. Then on Saturday, the order is determined by the fastest qual time on Fri, the fastest guy on Fri get's to go last on Sat (when the track will be fastest).
    And then with only one lap and nothing else, it's easy to make a mistake and be screwed come race day. I think it's going to create some interesting qualifying sessions...albeit a little boring since there is no more waiting to the wire to see who made it to the pole.
    So **IF** McLaren and Williams get a little closer to Ferrari next year, it could be a little interesting. Although I doubt it's going to do anything to make the race more exciting.
    andrew

4. Jeremy Brown

Jeremy Brown Agent

Kind of like when a president wins the popular vote, but doesn't win the electoral vote? Yup, it happens, it sucks, but it doesn't happen too often. Not saying it's right, or fair, but changing the format of points is about making money, not about being fair.

5. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

6. Jeremy Brown

Jeremy Brown Agent

Sorry, I should have explained better. Noone will probably make more money, except the organizers, who can raise the price of advertising for 'a more exciting race'. I agree completely that it is unfair, but when there is money involved, perceived or real, there isn't a lot you can do to convinve people that it is the 'wrong way'.

Personally, I agree that the new system is flawed, but I understand why they are changing it.

-Jeremy

7. Mario Bartel

Mario Bartel Stunt Coordinator

It's also my understanding that only one car will be on the track at a time during the qualifying sessions. Snore.

F1 qualifying, as it existed up until these changes, was one of the BEST things about it, when there was actual competition, strategy, gamesmanship and drama. And with only one car on the track, we'll lose the brilliant drafting strategies some of the teams have been employing with their drivers at tracks like Indy.

So, with the new qualifying procedures, a series of freak circumstances could put a Minardi in the front row; in my mind, that only increases the chances for an ugly incident at the starts, as much faster cars stacked up behind all gun for the quick advantage.

8. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter