ugg. Laid off.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Schermerhorn, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Mark Schermerhorn

Mark Schermerhorn Second Unit

So this morning I got the axe, now I'm back home. Wasn't a huge shock, the revenue in our division dropped 50% and it's still declining, so more ppl might get canned fairly soon. I think my coworkers were more shocked and freaked out than I was.
    On the bright side, with severance and vacation days, I'm getting paid for about another 3 months [​IMG] I'm going to San Diego next week anyway, so I figure I might just change my flight and stay out there for a few weeks. Ahh yes, days on the beach with a beer and women all around.
    So if anyone needs a mixed signal/analog test engineer, let me know [​IMG] There are actually some jobs out there I'm qualified for so I'm not freaking out yet.

2. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

Mark,
    I feel for ya. It's never pleasant getting the axe. I'm a professional recruiter, and I've been laid off myself twice now.
    I used to work for a company called Tektronix. I'm sure that in your line of work you've heard of them. Anyway, in the test and measurement division, there has always been great need for engineers with your background. That whole industry could be interested, but it's been nearly 5 years now since I've worked in the industry, so I'm not sure how they are faring in the current econ.
    Start your new search early, but don't forget to enjoy yourself. Take your laptop and internet connection with you to San Diego. [​IMG]
    John G

3. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Sorry to hear that Mark, but with that positive attitued, I have no doubt things will turn out well [​IMG]
    We have a have a couple of Textronix Digital scopes.
    --
    Holadem

4. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

Sorry to hear that.

Have a nice vacation and I hope another opportunity comes your way.

5. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Mark, sorry about the axe. I experienced the same thing last year and was off for 8 months. It turned out to be a good thing since I had time to be home with my young son and had severance to take care of the family.

Anyway, I think you should look at some of the bigger contract manufacturer's out there. They are always in need of good mixed signal and analog test engineers. The ones I used to deal with would have given their right arms for a good one.

Good luck,

Patrick

6. Mark Schermerhorn

Thanks guys. I'm going to try to relax tonight then start job huntin' tomorrow. Fortunatly I put my resume together about 3 weeks ago since I was already looking at another job through a friend. It was unrelated to fear of layoffs, it's a better job, which still may pan out.

7. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    I took the loss of a job as an opportunity to go into business for myself, and it has been the most satisfying experience of my life. Instead of working for some idiot, I'm my own idiot! [​IMG]

8. Scott Falkler

Scott Falkler Second Unit

I just got laid off as well last week.
    I have a bit of $ saved up and I'm selling my favorite projector for a bit more cash. I'm going to take a break for a while, it's been a rough past few years, and I deserve it! I'm 27 single, no debt, and nothing else holding me down, so I'm gonna live it up for a bit.
    Well, maybe not "live it up", just relax and get back some of those years I have taken off of my life from working so hard!
    I definately feel for you, but it always turns out for the best, don't forget it!
    Life never lets you get TOO comfortable...
    Good luck with the job hunt!
    -Scott

9. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

Good luck. I will be in that boat in another month. I luckily am getting an extremely attractive severance package since I was with my employer for 14.5 years. However, it is always tough to reenter the job market. With your positive attitude you shouldn't have any problems.
    Since my severance package included an 8 week paid vacation prior to separation I am currently using my vacation time to get in shape (14 years of desk jockeying wasn't good for my weight [​IMG] ). I joined a gym and have lost 10 lbs in the first 2 weeks of my vacation. I am doing some job hunting on the internet and will expand my search to targeted companies once I get a little closer to my separation date.
    Kenneth

10. Mark Schermerhorn

Kenneth: yeah, I'm going to join a gym too. I'm already in pretty good shape, but we had workout facilites at work. Nothing extrordinary, but it was enough.

Time to give the outplacement firm a call...

Scott: You're definitely right about life not letting you get too comfortable.

11. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Man I always thought that the engineering profession was always stable like law and medicine! Good luck with the job hunt!

Jeff

12. Mike Huay

Mike Huay Stunt Coordinator

I hope the best for you. I am still trying to recover from being laid off of the HT industry this past winter. I certainly wish you the best.

13. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

14. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Sounds like your handling it well Mark. Relax for a bit, enjoy the vacation, and look for work when your ready for it. Just keep the attitude you have right now and everything will be smooth sailing [​IMG]

15. Mark Romero

Mark Romero Second Unit

Mark, while you're in San Diego, stop by Stone Brewing and have some real beer. Good luck. Mark