UFO Eyes?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Kelsey, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Jack Kelsey

Jack Kelsey Agent

I was visiting a friend the other evening and saw 'You've Got Mail' on DVD.

The eyes of Ryan and Hanks (and others) all seemed to have been inherited from some space creature - as they were 'luminescent' - after the movie I checked it out with another DVD that happened to be there - 'The Firm' - sure enough - same UFO 'characters.'

At home I checked things out with my own set-up - and while no 'outer space' effects - it does seem as if 'eyes' are generally 'brighter' than other 'parts' of a picture.

But still strange that they would go way out of whack at this person's home - don't know if it would have been the DVD player or the TV - the rest of the picture was quite 'normal' and didn't seem to be on the upper part of any 'brightness' scale.

Anyone else notice special effects with eyes? (is it more likely to be the player than the TV that is 'responding?')

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Since your query involves a specific film on DVD, I thought it best to be located in Software as opposed to A/V Sources.

3. Jack Kelsey

Jack Kelsey Agent

Sorry - it was on BOTH unrelated DVD's. So it has something to do with hardware.

4. Jack Kelsey

Jack Kelsey Agent

I really don't understand why this has been moved to Software - since it is clearly how Hardware is responding - but us writers of these comments and questions are only mortals.

5. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

I can't really elaborate much, but I know when a friend of mine and I started out buying our first DVD's, and we only had his DVD-Rom to watch on, we noticed this a lot, along with moire-ish shimmering.

While neither I nor him probably knows why, we just experimented with different cables (SCART, S-VHS and regular antennae cable) and it seemed the antennae cable was the worst offender. After swithcing to stand alone players none of us noticed it anymore, so this was only a problem when using the computers DVD-ROM. The image was fine all the time on the computer monitor BTW.

Anyway, this was basically just a little rambling, I can't say I have a solution or an explanation for you.

6. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

how is this software related? the question clearly states hardware problem!

Well, trying to answer the question, what kind of hardware is involved (make, model). I used to own a crappy GE TV a couple years back that creates halo effect (almost like edge enhancement) from ANY source.