1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

UFO box set/s, how are they?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RANDY FISHER, Jan 28, 2003.

1. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

Anyone have set 1 or get/getting set 2 care to comment on the quality? I am very interested as this was one of those shows I thought was really cool when I was a kid but seemed not to "air" very often.

thanks Randy

2. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I've owned both R2 box sets for some time now. I think the quality of the R2 DVDs is great for a TV show as old as this show is. It is a fun show to watch. I cannot comment on R1 quality.

3. Keith Helms

Keith Helms Stunt Coordinator

Anybody ever notice that the alien spacecraft on this show were actually heavily disguised badminton birdies?

4. Jeff Krispow

Jeff Krispow Stunt Coordinator

UFO has always been one of my favorite TV series.

I've owned the original LD volumes Image originally put out. So-so quality.

I also later picked up the massive Japan Memorial Box Set (two boxes) than ran around $800.00. These very limited edition sets used to be the best that UFO ever looked — they were once considerd to be as close to "reference quality" as was possible. (If I recall correctly, this set was mastered using new 16mm prints.) The quality was superb for the time it was released.

I refrained from picking up the UK sets, mainly because I knew A&E was putting the show out over here. (Although I might pick up the UK sets one day just for the photo galleries and other extras not on the A&E sets).

Now, as for the two A&E set... words cannot describe how absolutely gorgeous the video is. They completely blow away the old Japanese LD sets, and make them look like good VHS copies. No kidding! The DVD presentation has crystal clear imagery (although occasionally there is an SPFX shot that looks dodgy, but that is due to the way it was originally filmed, not the DVD transfer). The transfer also has a level of fine detail visible that I never knew the show had (you can count ever pockmark on Paul Freeman's face, and we also noticed some fine "points" on one of the women on SkyDiver that were never visible before, *ahem*). The color transfer is excellent throughout and quite vivid — it especially shows when viewing some of the show's all-red sets, where the reds are displayed perfectly, without any noise or other artifacts usually associated with vivid-red photography. Also, the wigs of the Moonbase staff take on a whole new life with these transfers, as if they are also three-dimensional — they display gorgeous deep purple metallic sheens! And the list goes on and on...

The only thing that some might consider to be a weak spot is the audio, but that is only when compared with shows produced in recent years. In all fairness, the show has a mono track that dates from 1970, it sounds absolutely fine to me. Unlike some of the other Anderson DVDs, UFO does not contain a DD 5.1 remixed soundtrack, just the original DD 1.0 mono.

And the packages do have some fairly good extras... deleted footage, commentaries and more (some of which are new and don't appear in the original UK DVD versions).

I can highly recommened these DVDs to anyone who has an interest in the show. The transfers are exquisite and are the absolute best the show has ever looked (far better than even their original broadcast runs). You definitely will not be disappointed!

For more info on the show, or details on the DVDs, I suggest visiting Marc Martin's UFO Series Website. You'll find the answers to all your UFO-related questions there.

Hope this helps!
    Jeff

5. James Pfann

James Pfann Stunt Coordinator

Nice review Jeff.

I was also sitting on the fence over these sets until I could hear about the quality. I just placed my order.

[​IMG]

6. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Good for you James. Besides, if you know enough about UFO to be tempted, well, I would say the decision is made there. But I have both sets, and they are great.

Have fun, Dan

7. Frederic_A

Frederic_A Stunt Coordinator

I would be interested to know how the show compares content-wise to Thunderbirds and Captain-Scarlet, both of which I own the first few episodes on DVD (R2).

Also, since my resources are stretched pretty thinly at the moment, which of the discs would you go for? Assuming that R2 and R1 have the same content, which of the discs contain the best episodes?