UC/GR/MP - Decisions, decisions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Flynn, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

With the launch of Xbox Live next week, I'm pre-ordering a few games tonight.
    I'm definitely getting MechAssault, that's a given at this point. But I'm having problems choosing a second title. Here are my choices:
    Unreal Championship
    Ghost Recon
    Metroid Prime
    Nowadays I've noticed that my game purchasing habits tend to side with multiplayer games. 90% of my console titles I own are multiplayer, or have some sort of multiplayer facet to them. I find that a good single player game doesn't hold my interest as long as a good multiplayer game. So as much as I think I want Metroid Prime, no multiplay is kind of a downer for me.
    I've never sat down and played Ghost Recon, although I did own it at one point, so I don't know whether I should choose this game over the other two. I like the concept, but I'm worried that the game won't be as good on a console as it was on PC (so I've heard). I also think that the teamplay element will be excellnt, expeically playing with you guys!
    Now, I own UT2K3 for PC, and I love it. I also have a monster rig to run it on, so it's at the highest detail, etc. and looks DAMN good. Do you guys think it'll be worth it to buy UC for Xbox Live next week? I love fast-paced shooters, but is there enough of a difference between UC/UT2K3 to warrant a purchase the day it comes out?
    This is what sucks about not having a job! I can't just buy everything! Argh! [​IMG]

2. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

I don't have the direct link, but Voodoo Extreme (www.ve3d.com) posted a link to a Eurogamer review which said that UT2K3 owners should stick to that. UC is a slightly watered down version, but still fun.

3. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

Yeah, I'm a VE reader, and saw that review on Eurogamer... It's real tempting to consider UC, because a 36" TV looks nicer than my 15" monitor. [​IMG]

4. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

I'm getting Mech Assault and Ghost Recon myself. Unreal doesn't interest me because I can play that on my PC and can't imagine playing such a fast action shooter with the control pad. I'd put Metroid Prime on the shelf as well. Next to playing online, this game will be yawn inducing. I'm actually looking forward to Metroid Fusion on the GBA more than Prime.

5. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I Preordered Unreal and Mecassault tonight, I Want NHL2K3 but that might have to wait, and the News than SNK2 vs Capcomwill be live enabled also is not helping things

6. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'm going with MechAssault and Unreal Championship.
    I also wanted NHL2K3, but I'm going to wait on a review for that, as it will be the first hockey game by Sega I've played and I'm unfamiliar with their previous attempt(s).
    Of course, between now and tomorrow night when I order I'll probaby flip-flop about my decision a few hundred times.
    [​IMG]

7. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Is Ghost Recon just a port of the PC game? Does it include the add ons that are out for the PC?

8. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

Ghost Recon is a port of the PC game with:
    • Improved graphics
    • All missions redesigned from the PC version
    • New weapons
    • Multiplayer maps from Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon and Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Desert Siege
    • New multiplayer and single player game types
    • All-new introductory cut scenes
    • All-new interface
    • All-new command system to lead the Ghosts into battle.
    • Unlock new content and features with a task-based reward system
    • Player dossiers track completed tasks, unlocked maps, weapons, stats and player rank. (Private, Sergeant, etc.)
    • Global player ranking system on Xbox Live
    • Split-screen multiplayer (2 per Xbox)
    • Dolby Digital Surround sound
    • Improved, high fidelity audio and all-new sounds
    • New environmental effects
    • New special effects using the Xbox particle and shader systems
    • Improved lighting
    • Improved AI for the Ghosts and their enemies
    • All-new female characters for multiplay
    As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm still flip-flopping around UC or GR (Metroid Prime is officially out of the running now). So I decided to make a game of it.
    At 9PM EST (as displayed on my PC) right before I pre-order the games, Im going to check the message "Views" count. If it's an even number of views, I'll go with Unreal Championship. If it's an odd number of views, I'll go with Ghost Recon.
    I figure both games should be excellent, so I can't go wrong with either. And I know I'll eventually pick up the other sometime in the following month or so.

9. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I think you'll find more fellow HTFers on Ghost Recon then you will on UC.

10. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Chris,
    If it affects your decision at all, I'm about 99.9999999% sure that Metroid Prime will not be Xbox Live compatible [​IMG]
    I couldn't resist, your post above makes it sound that way...

11. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

99 Views at 9 PM.
    Ghost Recon it is then. [​IMG]
    Now to pre-order and add my name to the HTF Ghost Recon list.