"U99" error code and my Panny E85

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Stephen Orr, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I had this problem a couple of months after I bought it. Overnight, or in the middle of the day (I'm guessing when the DVR is supposed to be receiving the TV Guide scheduling updates), the machine would lock up with a U99 error code. Following the manual, I unplugged it from the wall, waited a minute or so, then plugged it back in.

This happened daily for about a week, then stopped for about 6 months or so - no error codes, everything running fine.

In the past few days, it has started up again. When I see it, I dutifully unplug, wait and replug it in, and everything seems to be fine again.

It unfortunately happened the afternoon before the Smallville season premiere, and I missed it.

I am updated with the latest firmware, so that's not the issue.

Anyone else running into this?

2. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Okay, a few hits on this but no one is responding. I've gotten it to stop (for now, but for good, I hope). I reformatted the hard drive, went in to setup and told it to reset most of the settings. I haven't had the U99 show up since.

3. Daniel Bro

Daniel Bro Extra

Hi Steve you have helped me out in the past on a couple of issues I started getting the u99 error about four days ago and I have been doing what you said about unplugging the unit for a couple of minutes and it cleared up but I have been doing this sometimes twice a day so I wonder if you could tell me how to reformat my hard drive so I could try that I had installed the firmware cd that was posted by roger amidor to supposedly fix the u99 some time back and as I had never had the u99 before I dont know if it did not take or what can you give me any advice thank you Danny b

4. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

From the other U99 thread...

To reformat the hard drive and re-initialize settings.

1. While in HDD mode (the one where you're just watching TV through the DVR), push the function button.
    2. Click down to Set-up/Disc setting. Select Disc Setting.
    3. Click enter to format the hard drive. It will take a few minutes.
    4. Now click the Set-up selection. On this new menu, click down to set-up, then selection "Re-initialize settings". This will leave your current TV Guide stuff alone, but will reset everything else back to original settings.
    5. Turn the machine off, then back on again, and check your TV Guide and recording schedule. Everything should still be there, and you should not see the U99 again.

I did this a couple of weeks ago and have had no problem since.

5. Daniel Bro

Daniel Bro Extra

I did as you said to initialise settings I still got the u99 window next morning I also tried to re install the firmware fix disc and after it reads it says unsuported I guess I will just have to live with pulling out the power cord and replacing it till I can try another alternative ,thanks anyway Steve.

6. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I ran that fix I wrote about two replies up about three weeks ago, and the U99 came back yesterday. It usually hits overnight, and I believe now that it is related to the TV Guide update that comes up overnight.

This time after I unplugged and replugged it into the wall, I went into setup, and reinitalized settings. The problem did not repeat itself last night, so we'll see how long this lasts.

7. Daniel Bro

Daniel Bro Extra

I tried again Steve today mon 24th reinitialised again now I will just wait and see thanks I starting to think about getting another unit different make although I have always preferred panasonic is there any other units that give the tv guide and for free ?

8. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
    Gentlemen, What makes you think it's your Panasonic DVR??? I have the DMR-E85 as well. I have performed the factory reset procedure and haven't received a U99 error since. The Panasonics aren't the only DVR's not playing nice with the TVGuide feature, apparently some of the Pioneers are as well. I'm hearing the problem is with the cable downloads, especially with Gemstar. I have Comcast and my problems have gone away for the time being, so maybe they addressed the problem on their end. So what makes you all think it's your Panasonic DVR and not the cable download, maybe it's a few lines of code that aren't compatible with your DVR???

9. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I've suspected for a while now that the TV Guide download could be the culprit. It only seems to happen overnight or in the middle of the day. It hasn't happened since the last time I reinitialized the settings.

10. Daniel Bro

Daniel Bro Extra

Steve its me again I tried reinitialising about three times still get the 99 error the only way I was able to get rid of the 99 was to just start up from the dvd remote and since I did that it has not come back for about a week the only problem is all I get on the tv guide listings is all the stations instead of saying what is on it says no listing on each one I wondered if you have ever had same problem also if is a cablevision problem if you have any solutions please let me know ,thanks DANNY B.

11. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Danny,

In my case, it seems the U99 error had been happening due to the overnight and mid-day cable listing updates. Since the last time I re-initialized my machine (about 3 weeks ago) it hasn't happened again. I'm really at a loss as to why it's not working for you. I believe U99 is more of general error code than anything specific.

12. Daniel Bro

Daniel Bro Extra

Thank you for all your help I am still trying to get my guide back in I have not seen the 99 thing for about a week and my tv is doing the usual channel jumping when the dvd recorder is on standby meaning it is downloading only problem is when I check the guide the next day all I get is no listing for each of the channels I asked my cable provider Cablevision and they say that they have nothing to do with a recorder that is not provided by them can anyone help me is there some kind of setup proceedure that I can try I have re booted a few times that does not help ?

13. Daniel Bro

Daniel Bro Extra

I give up with this tv guide fiasco can anyone tell me what I do to bypass the tv guide and just use my reg tv guide ? do I have to disable something anybody please help ,

14. Daniel Bro

Daniel Bro Extra

I am giving up on the tv guide fiasco can you tell me how I disable the tv guide funcion and just use my reg tv guide do I have to disable the guide or just not use it thanks ,frustrated Danny b

15. Daniel Bro

Daniel Bro Extra

Is there anyone on the boards that has cablevision io service as I have just contacted panasonic about the trouble I am having trying to get the tv guide as my unit the e85 seems to be downloading the programs when my unit is off like its supposed to but when I open the guide up it says search for data has failed panasonic says my unit is ok its cablevision that is causing the problem they said cablevision changed their signal since they came out with their own dvr system .The Panny guy said for me to call and bitch to them and he said if enough people complain then mabye they will have a change of heart so if any of you guys are having the same problem lets bust their chops let me know .p.s I sent them a nasty email ,Danny B

16. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

It's kind of a mixed blessing to find out that our U99 problems are caused by the cable company, and not because our machines are bad....[​IMG]