What's new

U2 Remasters? (1 Viewer)

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
I don't get it.

Artists like The Police, Sting, Peter Gabriel and Simple Minds have all re-released their back catalogues remastered with uniform packaging.

It's weird to me that U2, a band more popular than the aformentioned have only their original crummy sounding CDs available.

Anyone know if their collection's getting a re-release?

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Don't know. I have sort of mixed feelings about this, at least with respect to my favorite U2 album, The Unforgettable Fire. Its tendency toward muddiness has always, in part at least, endeared it to me, following on the heels of the far more in-your-face mix of War. I suppose I'd give it a listen (massive understatement of the week!)... :D

Related topic: Rattle and Hum could use a DVD re-release, as there's plenty more footage, and the sound mix could easily be improved (too bad the film can't; well, actually, more concert footage and less of the other stuff would go a long way toward improving it).

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Thank god I picked up the Mobile Fidelity gold Ultradiscs of "War," "Unforgettable Fire" and "Joshua Tree" before Mobile Fidelity went out of business.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
How strange...I just gave the MF release of "Unforgettable Fire" a spin this morning, for the first time in ages.

Angelo, to answer your question: I don't notice much of a difference between the regular and MF editions of "Unforgettable Fire", however, the MF release of "Joshua Tree" is head and shoulders above the regular CD release.

I do have the original vinyl release of "Unforgettable Fire" as well, but haven't done any comparisons with it because it's still factory-sealed :)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Tim: I guess I'm both sorry to hear about the MF pressing of UF (because it's no better) and glad to hear about it (because I don't have one!). Kidding aside, I have an opened vinyl of UF and I prefer it to the CD.

I was hoping for a 20th anniversary edition of UF... Oh, well... :frowning:

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Oh man....Angelo, you're really tempting me to crack open the 20-year old shrinkwrap on my vinyl Unforgettable Fire and give it a spin :)

Ya know, you and I have such similar musical tastes that it's almost scary. If you're ever out here in the sticks, come on by and we'll spin some albums for a while...

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
I'm hoping for remasters of all U2's back catalogue as well. I'm sure it'll happen either this year or next. With a new album out this year and a world tour in 2005 I'd imagine Island records will cash in. A DVD of the 1980-1990 videos would be welcomed also. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

Absolutely. It would be nice to have each studio album remastered, with an extra disc (or 2!) with b-sides/outtakes from that period.

But, first on my wish list would be a box set of live material spanning their entire touring career, ala the Springsteen live box set. It's always struck me as being odd that this band--arguably one of the best live acts in the last 20+ years--don't have a proper live album (not to disparage the live EPs and the DVDs).

Nick Hallett

Agent
It's about bloody time theres a good U2 thread here! I personally wish they could relesase the boston and slane shows on CD just for portability. There are some damn good performances on those DVD's, namely Kite.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I just burned my own - the joy of having a standalone CD recorder! I had a friend who once mentioned a way to burn from DVD to CD-R on a computer, but since I already use the standalone, I didn't pay attention...

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Good idea.

Take those shows, add the full "Red Rocks/Blood Red Sky" show (ah, so glad I have the Version City bootleg; wait, am I allowed to say that?), add a couple of shows from the UF tour, add the missing stuff from "Rattle and Hum", add historical performances from Live Aid ("Bad") and the first Amnesty International shows (e.g., "Maggie's Farm"), add some "ZooTV" stuff, add some of the more interesting live collaborations over the years (Eno/Pavarotti, U2/REM ["Automatic Baby"], U2/Alarm/Big Country, U2/Axl Rose, U2/Eddie Vedder, etc)... And you have the beginnings of a nice live boxed set.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Angelo - Nebraska? Ooooh...my fav Boss album of all time. I DO have that on vinyl and I'm not afraid to spin it :)

In regards to the original topic, I seem to recall an interview w/ Edge around the Zoo TV timeframe where he mentioned that he'd love to remix every U2 album. Of course, this was probably just a throwaway comment, but a fan can dream, right?

KrisM

Second Unit
This thread inspired me to finally pick up a vinyl copy of Joshua Tree and I've got it playing right now. Quite an improvement over the cd. I wish I could have gotten the Mofi back in the day. I almost picked-up a Rattle and Hum as well.
The U2 catalog would be great on hi-rez(pick your format). Something along the lines of the Dylan re-issues. They could even put out two versions, one with the basic album and another with b-sides and rare tracks. Sort of like what they did with the two hits collections.

Regards
KrisM

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
What's the going rate for a Gold CD of the Joshua Tree? I'd love to pick one up if I could find one.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I got a brand new (shrink-wrapped) vinyl copy of Joshua Tree last year, and I couldn't stop listening to it, and I'm not that big of a U2 fan. Just an amazing record. Simply amazing sonics. I do wish that they could/would do a reissue on SACD or DVD_-udio, as I think that a good amount of their songs would sound AMAZING in a good 5.1 mix (think DSOTM instead of Pet Sounds):D

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
You guys are killin' me....I've been hunting for a good vinyl copy of Joshua Tree but to no avail. If anyone has any leads on one for a reasonable price, please send me a PM...

Andrew, I think the current going rate for the MF Joshua Tree is around $50 or so...if you can actually find one :)

KrisM

Second Unit
There is a thread going on in the SACD section at Audio Asylum about the new U2 album coming out on SACD along with catalog titles. Of course the poster has no real source or link confirming it, so take it with a grain of salt.
And Tim, I got my Joshua Tree in near mint condition for $6CDN. Sorry to rub it in.;) I would think there would alot of copies of this kicking around. Keep looking, I'm sure you'll find one.

Regards
KrisM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks