U2 Rattle and Hum, preemptive strike

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Dave Mack, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

AVSforum has a thread where they are tearing this new HDdvd apart, this is what I wrote in reply...
    "What did y'all expect?!?!? 1/2 the film was shot documentary style on fast stock 16mm film! The 35mm concert sequences were STILL shot using VERY fast film. The DVD was grainy as hell. I saw it in the theater and it was grainy as hell. They blew up and cropped a 16mm image to 35mm, WS for all the documentary, Ireland, Sun studios, interview parts. The 2 concerts Black and white and color were shot using 35 so they should look better but once you push the film stock and open up the iris, wala! Grain!!!
    I would be shocked to read that it DIDN"T have any grain....!"

d

2. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

All this whining about grain puzzles me concerning some people over at AVS. Me thinks HD DVD has brought out a LOT of lurkers or simply people new to HT and who should think/and or do some research before posting. Me, I'm looking forward to picking up Rattle & Hum.

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I think the real issue is transparency to the source. But not having the source print in front of me, I can't tell what it looked like, and my memories of seeing the movie in the theater are 18 years old.

That being said, the HD DVD does not look as eye popping as the Live in Chicago concert shot in HD during the Vertigo tour. If people go in expecting that, they are bound to be disappointed.

Thanks for trying to shed a little perspective, Dave.

- Steve

4. John Mansor

John Mansor Stunt Coordinator

It is intersting that Rattle and Hum was chosen as an early release. I wonder if the studio remembered that it was very grainy. I personally loved the look, especially the night scenes near the Mississippi, but it might turn people off to the format.

5. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Had the poster EVER seen R&H before??? ;-)

I don't believe this title was chosen for PQ.
    I was hoping this would be a sonic wonder, when first seeing this title on the release schedule.

Is anyone "super" impressed with the sound?
    Thanks.

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I edited the thread title for you

7. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Thanks Neil!

How is the sound, guys?

[​IMG]

8. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Awesome...

- Steve

9. Paul Anthony

Paul Anthony Stunt Coordinator

But, who wants to see grain? Just kidding! [​IMG] To be perfectly honest (as Ed put it), I think when you're watching a music video, the sound should be center stage. Glad to hear that R&H sounds awesome. [​IMG]

Speaking of music videos, I recently watched 'Spandau Ballet: Live from the N.E.C'. on DVD, it was grainy as Hell, but I was more impressed that it was anamorphic (you felt like you had a front row center seat) with a breathtaking DTS soundtrack, that was way cool! [​IMG]

10. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Cool! Thanks, Steve!

11. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Paramount's HD strategy seems counter-intuitive in a lot of ways. Their initial wave includes not only this, shot years ago on 16mm and thus problematic besides the enormous difficulties in making a live show look good on video, but also the stylized softness of SKY CAPTAIN (which looks MARVELOUS, by the way--it just glows on the screen), and the idiosyncratic color schemes of SLEEPY HOLLOW and SAHARA. Not one of these is what one would expect to be a gem on HD. But SAHARA looks great overall, although there are a few spots with EE cropping up (which never was a problem on SD DVDs from Paramount....). TOMB RAIDER has some issues that may be related to the source material (long and medium shots are very soft and lacking in definition) and an odd contouring on Jolie's skin in some shots. It's the only one that I found really disappointing of the ones from Paramount that I've visited so far---I suspect that it may be a 2001 HD transfer.

12. PatWahlquist

PatWahlquist Supporting Actor

Mark, I'd have to disagree with you on the EE of SD Paramount titles. While it is not excessive by any means, I noticed it on almost all of the titles I've reviewed. I was shocked to see it in the HD-DVD of "Sahara", and I went back a couple times to make sure that's what I was seeing.

13. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

People thought I was WAY out of line, worrying about EE on HD disc.
    I'm going to lookup those old posts & tear them a new one!!! ;-)

Mark Z,
    What title(s) would you say Para should have released first for PQ?
    I thought, 3D CGI animation (and I know "everyone" thought Kong looked the best on the HD DVD demo disc, however IMnsHO it was Corpse Bride, so puppet stuff too!) would be the best looking HD discs. Just, I don't know of any Para titles in that category.

The softness of SC was apparent in the theater. Stylized for the look of the period & well as to hide the lack of detail of the CGI. However, some detail was kept in the movie, as I thought Gwyneth's hair was the STAR of the movie! :-0

By the way, this is the title, SC, on which I made my HD disc stand. That is to say, do not buy any more SD DVD's (for over $10 [the $5.50 bin keep me going]) that I would like to someday own on HD disc. So this is a big moment for me, in the short history of HD disc!!!

14. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Gwyneth's hair looks great on the HD DVD. [​IMG] I was going to remark on it then felt a little silly. But buy with happy confidence on that score.

As to possible Paramount releases that I would have expected to better show off HD, the forthcoming Team America, one of the recent Star Trek movies, The Core might have been on a list. I'm not unhappy about Sky Captain being first though, by any means.

15. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Oh great, EE on HDdvds?!?!?!? ARGH!!!!!!!!!

16. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Another puppet movie! :-0
    Trekie's will delight to buy & have ST on HD!!!
    Don't know The Core.
    I'd have to check, I'm not into it enough to know which resent movies are Para. Was The New World Para? I'm guessing it was under the Sony umbrella. That should look STUNNING & with the new technology the extended cut will fit on one disc.
    Where there any Para titles on the HD demo disc?
    I don't remember any.

17. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Bump.

Can any one with a bitrate meter on their HDM player comment on the bitrate of the Dolby Digital track on either the HD DVD or BD? There's appears to be a discrepancy in this regard in the HighDefDigest reviews of the BD and HD DVD of this pic: the HD DVD review says the Dolby Digital (Plus) track is 1.5 Mbps. The BD review says the Dolby Digital track "is encoded at the same 640kbps [as the HD DVD]."