What's new

U2 - Elevation 2001 OR Slane Castle? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I've been planning on picking up a U2 concert DVD but I'm trying to decide which to buy; "At Home: Live At Slane Castle" or "Elevation 2001". I've seen neither but am aware that both were taken from the "Elevation" tour. Looking at the track lists for both DVDs, they appear to be almost identical with the exception of a handful of songs. Since both are from the same tour, I'm wondering if there is a vast difference between the two DVDs. Also, I'd like to know what you feel is the better concert DVD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RickHeart

Agent
Slane. No brainer.

While the Boston DVD is technically superior in that there are more camera angles, a more polished look, etc. (due to the fact that the concert was filmed specifically w/ a DVD in mind), the Slane show is much a much more powerful, raw U2 experience (when they filmed it is was NOT intended to be a DVD release...but they relented to fan demands). It's the best concert DVD I've ever seen.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I prefer the Slane castle show as well.

You could wait for the Chicago Verigo tour one coming in the Fall? :)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The Slane show is generally considered to be the better of the two, although that should not be taken to mean Elevation isn't worth your time; it's also a good show. But if I had to choose, I'd probably go with Slane too.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Wow, you guys just made my decision a whole lot easier. lol. Thanks very much for the input. I'll be picking 'Slane' up later today. I was sort of leaning towards getting that one after reading the set lists for both DVDs. 'Slane' has more songs I recognize as opposed to 'Elevation'.

Well aside from money being considerably tight, both of these concerts are from the exact same "Elevation" tour. With the exception of a few songs, the set lists were pretty much the same. I just wanted to find out which was the better of the two concerts. Had these been from two different tours, I would've definitely picked up both. I'll definitely be looking into the "Vertigo" tour DVD in the fall.

Thanks again everyone. :) You were all a big help.

Slane without a doubt. Boston is OK, but Slane feels like being at the concert. I put the Slane DVD on once a week; I love the energy that the crew was able to capture.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
I just wish "Bad" was on Slane...the way it segued into "Where the Streets Have No Name" on Elevation Boston was divine...

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke

That would've been perfect. "Bad" is one of my favorite U2 songs, so it was a bit disappointing to learn it was on one concert but not the other. Oh well, I still have both the "Live Aid" and "Rattle And Hum" DVDs if I want to hear it. :)

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well, I just finished watching the 'Slane Castle' DVD. I think there's only one word that can sum up my thoughts...........WOW!!

This was truly an amazing concert in every way possible. I tested it with all three audio formats (PCM, Dolby 5.1 and DTS). I found the Dolby track to be the superior of the three. The energy during that show was incredible. I think "All I Want Is You" and "Where The Streets Have No Name" were my favorite performances. The crowd participation sent chills down my spine:

All I want is..............YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Just amazing. The whole DVD was excellent! I just want to thank you all once again for helping me decide which DVD to get. After seeing this, I know I made the right decision. This is bar none the best concert DVD I've EVER seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.