U.S. would had HDTV about sixty years before, according to LIFE magazine

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thik Nongyow, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

This is something I found while surfing for information on the history of television on the Internet last night:
    HDTV is considered one of the most exciting developments in television since color, but according to a 1944 LIFE Magazine article the idea had been be considered nearly sixty decades ago.
    Quoting from TVhistory.tv:
    "This portion of the article mentions how close came to establishing a 735 line standard (instead of 525 lines today)...That decision 'would have imposed an immediate and total obsolescence of all existing equipment' -- but -- would have had a form of HDTV 60 years sooner!"
    Here is a scan of the 1944 LIFE Magazine article in question:
    http://www.tvhistory.tv/1944_LIFE_Pg90.JPG
    If the industry adopted the 735 line standard, " would have had a form of HDTV 60 years sooner!"[​IMG]

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Wow, it's amazing that they were considering HDTV 500 years before electricity.

3. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Interesting read. The sad thing is it may be another 60 years before it becomes the standard. [​IMG]

4. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Jed- Unfortunately, yup. [​IMG]

5. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

And if my aunt had balls...

6. andrew markworthy

Actually, somewhere I've got some letters from Lady Logie -Baird (widow of John Logie-Baird, the Brit inventor of the first workable TV) to my uncle (who worked in television) which came into my possession on the latter's death. If memory serves me correctly, in the letters amongst other things she discusses her late husband's work on a prototype of high-definition colour TV. I doubt if it was workable (certainly L-B's system was technically inferior to the one which was eventually adopted), but it seems as if more than one inventor was on to this idea.

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

9. BrianB

BrianB Producer

10. andrew markworthy

Hmm ... My ancestry is solidly celtic ( a mixture of Socts, Irish and Cornish), and I mention this to show that the following is not an Anglo-Saxon response. However, how come that Scots (and to a lesser extent Welsh and Irish) are outraged when Brits are referred to as English, but that if a Scot is referred to as being a Brit, then they protest that s/he should be referred to as a Scot?

11. BrianB

BrianB Producer

12. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

Wait a minute! Are we going off-topic? The topic is regarding HDTV, but it had now degraded to a discussion about ethnicity.