What's new

U.S. version of Monsters Inc. sold in Vancouver,Canada? (2 Viewers)

Henry Woo

Agent
It sounds like the U.S. version of Monsters Inc. is preferable to the Canadian version. For example, the Canadian version is missing the full screen version of the movie plus the sound fx track. This was done I believe to include the french soundtrack.

Does anyone know if any store in Vancouver, Canada would be carrying the U.S. version? I know that I can order it online. The former route is just easier.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Is there any information about what differences there are between the canadian and US versions? I'm not all that concerned about the lack of full frame, but I want to know if the transfer will be compromised, or if the all-important "for the birds" short will be intact (it wasn't listed on the Entertainment Warehouse description).

Gui A

Supporting Actor
American versions aren't carried anywhere in Canada.
If you want them, you have to order from amazon.com or another US based site.

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
The differences are listed in most of the other Mi. threads on this forum.
I believe the main ones are:

-Short features duplicated on the first disc

-no tallscreen transfer

-no SFX only audio track

-french language track

Anyone find any more?

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I'm battling with myself whether or not I should get this locally or from a US retailer. The fact that there is no "tallscreen" (love that) version is actually a beautiful thing. The sound effects track is interesting to listen to but only for novelty purposes. So long as the packaging is not ruined with bilingual text and the transfer has not been compromised I'll likely just buy it here.

James Reader

Screenwriter
I see not beauty in the loss of the Full Screen transfer because based on other threads on this board, the bitrate on the widescreen version is exactly the same as the US version.

I can see no logic for removing the Full Screen version from this release (and the additional Sound Effects only track) only to add a single French Language Track and make no other improvements. It doesn't even have French subtitles!

This release should have had a DTS soundtrack.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Ditto that, and the removal of the tallscreen transfer should have freed up enough room to accomodate that dts soundtrack.
See my poll on this matter here

IanS

Stunt Coordinator
guess I will be going to the States again next week. Good thing too, only 1 hour drive away.

Ian

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Is the effects only track really important? I mean, this is all were really missing up here. Disney only puts a small "Version francaise incluse" on their covers so there will be no billingual cover.

Jeff

Jeff

Supporting Actor
IMO, children should not be raised on pan & scan. Otherwise we'll just have a whole new generation that will have to be converted over. :)

Paul Wu

Stunt Coordinator
I'm heading down south next week for a conference and planned on picking up a copy of Monsters Inc.
If there is interest, I'll be willing to pickup copies for those that reside in the Vancouver area. I just want to recoup my costs. There will be no duty or shipping. Just whatever the price and exchange.
The only thing is I won't be back till the 22nd, so if you need to have your movie on release day, I can't help you.
So drop me a PM or email if you are interested. I need to know how many by Tuesday.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
The Full Screen version has re-composited sequences ala Toy Story 2. It also has more info on the top and bottom for what it's worth.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
This is interesting. I work at a Rogers Video store. I took home a rental copy of Monsters Inc tonight and to my surprise it's the US version. I was rather shocked when the DVD displayed the choice for WS or FS.

It has no french track and has the effects only track. I haven't seen the rental box yet but the ones we got for sale say "Version francaise incluse", so it must be just the rental ones that are from the US. Maybe this is a mixup on Disney's part? Who knows.

Jeff

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Well, a little update. The rental boxes do indeed have "Version francaise incluse" on them, so Disney messed up. I tried two other rental copies of Monsters Inc at random and they are the US version too. I'd love to open a sellthrough copy but I can't do that. Maybe when some Pioneer owner brings it back, I can try it.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks