U.S.S. Arizona desecrated by Discovery Channel bugs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill McCamy, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    The Discovery Channel just presented an excellent documentary reconstructing the sinking of the U.S.S. Arizona. There were interviews with survivors, and a frame by frame analysis of a restored home movie (the original color version of which has been lost to history).

Incredibly, important, moving scenes were marred by animated rodents and other prehistoric animals in the lower right corner of the screen, as periodic animated bugs were placed to plug next week's show. Several times a rodent like creature stood on its hind legs, and seemed to be watching the Arizona explode. That may be appropriate for Mystery 3000 Theater, but the Arizona is a tomb. Do these broadcasters even watch their product?

They should be ashamed.

2. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

I agree, and if I were you I would write a letter to the Discovery Channel to that effect. Not an e-mail, a hard-copy letter.

I certainly will be. I have the street address at home. I can post it here later tonight for anyone who is interested.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Even without the nonsense you describe, Discovery's "basic" station bug is itself overly busy and large and distracting. But what you saw is a new low.

Exterminate the bugs. All of them. Man, watching television is such a distressing deal these days.

I'm afraid, however, that this is one infestation that won't go away. Only the federal government will be able to stop this odious practice.

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

It's amazing a network like discovery which generally broadcasts decent documentries and learning shows can shoot itself in the foot like that.

I mean you expect the Foxes, TNTs and all the dumb channels but Discovery????

So far the History Channel hasn't done some dumb stunt .... hopefully they will get the message

5. Evan Case

Evan Case Screenwriter

The only "good" things I can say about these bugs--unlike those truly hideous ones during Walking With Dinosaurs--are:

A. They were silent

B. They didn't come up from the bottom and squeeze the entire screen

That's all the praise I can give them (though that's sort of like me, an Eagles fan, actually pulling for a Cowboys victory this past weekend as it helped the Birds)

Evan

6. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Grant,

I beg to differ about the History Channel...their monstrocity of a bug with the stars and History Channel logo stuff takes up most of the screen down there! And that they use the flags and star cluster to shill their Tv channel, is a CRIME ! I don't hear about them sending any money to charity for the rights to using it.

I still think the AMC Auction Crap is the worst so far! But I'm sure someone will surpass it.

7. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Mike
    I guess I don't even notice it anymore...it doesn't move around or change so I guess I just block it out. I think they started using the flag now that history chnnl international is on. As far as I know the flag is a statement that you are proud to be an american or an american based company. It's not a registered trademark.
    As for charity, you never know. Just because they don't make a big deal about it doesn't mean they don't give.
    But you are correct in they seem to be getting bigger and more annoying, I guess I have selective seeing [​IMG]

8. Jack Briggs

9. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Using the Flag, since 9/11, to shill for EVERYTHING except its original purpose...to me...has been indiscriminate and disgraceful.

Those that use it don't have the faintest idea what they are doing except they are using it absurdity and using it to manipulate The Viewer into feeling that, 1) they are patriotic, 2) that they, ahem, Care, and 3)that they are actually fooling people in the long run.

Example...a GM/United Auto Workers commercial...extolling the virtues of Heroism, Caring, shots of the WTC, etc. Now, since when does GM care about ANY labor union, as it ships jobs outside of the country ? It's not only that, but the production and selling of other paraphenalia emblazoned with flag like symbols, is a sham, that will catch up to Us soon.

The collective "We" has gone Tooooooooo far with this psuedo-patriotism thing.

10. Jack Briggs

Well, another cloying commercial is the one that intercuts segments of Bush's speech to congress with actors' dialogue. I can't even remember who the commercial is for.

11. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    I have not taken the time to write a real letter yet, but I did e-mail a complaint similar to my earlier post. The response I received is pretty much a kiss off. Seems that we are in the minority. Most of the nation wants screen burn in and a distraction from mediocre programming.
    Thank you for contacting Discovery Networks. We bring in the DSC/TLC,APL,TTC logo, over the programs, as a service to our viewers. Believe it or not, a lot of television viewers do not know which network/channel they are watching. We have had a couple of complaints
    but, far and above, the majority of the viewers say they appreciate seeing the logo - it lets them know what
    network they are watching. It is fairly common practice now for networks (cable and broadcast
    as well) to display their logo throughout programs.
    Feel free to email us or call us about future airdates, product availability and some contact information. You can e-mail [email protected] or call
    toll free at 1-888-404-5969 between 8am and 6 pm ET, Monday through Friday.
    Thank you again for taking the time to write.
    Sincerely,
    Craig
    Discovery Networks
    Viewer Relations

12. Jack Briggs

That is almost verbatim what the clowns at The History Channel "wrote" to me when I complained about their logo.

And what an insult it is to our intelligence.

I know of no one who likes or appreciates the things, and that includes non-enthusiasts. As I have stated before, if the cable and broadcast networks are so concerned about whether we know which channels we are surfing, then why the hell don't they run the stupid logos during the commercials?

Now, that's something that'll make 'em choke.

Losing battle, folks.

First Amendment issues aside, is there a possible political solution to the bug plague?

13. MickeS

MickeS Producer

14. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

The bug plague has now spread to the BBC, and people over there are taking the problem to British Parliament- check out www.squashthebugs.com for details.
    In the meantime, CANCEL YOUR CABLE SERVICE until this crap stops once and for all! I'm getting cable for free right now where I live, and I'm actually thinking about asking the cable company to turn it off as a matter of principle!

15. Jack Briggs

What if we did write our elected representatives? With snail mail. If your congressman/woman received, say, four or five snail mail-delivered letters, each of them complaining about this situation, he or she might consider doing something about it.

Yes, TNN's is a new low. Not only does the bar cut off the bottom portion of the frame, it also results in a washed-out picture--because that black bar/logo combination is an overlay. It turns Captain Picard's red uniform to a shade of pink.

Disgraceful.