U just watched the most depressing 2 hour movie

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by todd s, Jun 6, 2005.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

This might have to go in the tv programming forum. But, I figured the topic would go beyond the movie. I am speaking of the F/X movie "Oil Storm". The movie follows a series of events that cause the US to loose about 20% of its oil supply. And the subsequent problems that arise. Everything that good go wrong...does. It does get better with about 10 minutes left in the movie.
    This is the newest in a line of docudramas. Whereas it makes it like a documentary like you would watch on the Discovery Channel. Where they interview people and key figures in the crisis. And show mock news footage of the crisis.

Just curious as to what people thought and how accurate this movie was?

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I didn't see it.. but it does sound interesting. Any idea if they're going to re-air it?

3. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

FX

June 11: 11:00PM
    June 12: 5:30PM

All times Eastern

4. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    I saw it. It was well-researched but the scenario was pretty far fetched. And two of the key special effects:

The tanker collision in Houston and the bombing of the refinery in Saudi Arabia
    were so cheesy that they just ruined the whole illusion of reality.

5. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Any description of the types of things that happen in the show? I don't want to spend 2 hrs watching it, what's the 2 paragraph recap? [​IMG]

6. Jim Sentry

Jim Sentry Stunt Coordinator

I think they did not allow any credit to American Ingenuity.

If this were to really happen you would see all sorts petroleum alternatives pop up.

7. DanielM

DanielM Stunt Coordinator

I enjoyed it until the end where it all just goes back to the same..nothing learned nothing new

8. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Well I won't write 2 paragraphs. But here are the highlights...

-Cat.4 hurricane hits and destroys Port Fuchan and the offshore facilities. This takes out about 15% of our oil. About a million barrels per day.

-Saudi Arabia agrees to increase output by 1million barrels, but will take a month to get here. Arab extremists are pissed.

-Oil prices shoot up to near $100 a barrel. Causing gas prices to go to around $5-6 a gallon.

-Arab terrorists take over a mall in Saudi Arabia. Holding 400 western oil workers hostage. Police storm building killing over 100 hostages.

-American sends troops to guard Saudi oil facilites.

-Most oil now flows into Port Houston which is overcrowded. An accident between a tanker and chemical ship causes the port to be shut down for a month.

-Economy reeling. To pay for the troops overseas. Govt.cuts farm subsidies. Farmers go nuts and start protezting. New speed restrictions of 50mph cause truckers to strike. Economy realing getting creamed.

-X-mas day. Terrorists blow up main oil facility in Saudi Arabia. Killing 100's of US troops and further cutting oil production.

-Oil hits over $150 a barrel. And gas cost over $8 per gallon.

-Home heating becomes to expensive or scarce. And with a bad winter. 24k people die in Boston alone from the lack of heat.

-Russia agrees to send a bunch of tankers to US to help. On the way. China outbids us and tankers turn towards China. One interviewee says to his son its the day the US become 2nd to China as the world economic leader.

-This the worst it gets. Then it gets better quickly.

-US agrees to give 16 billion to Russia to cooperate in fixing their oil facilities which are old and in bad shape. Russia turns the tankers back to the US.

-After 1year Port Fuchon is back open at 80%. gas prices go to around $3-4 gallon.

9. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Hmmm, doesn't sound too far fetched....we're almost half way there without the turmoil.

Mort