types of speaker wire for in wall

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph Salerno, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Joseph Salerno

Joseph Salerno Auditioning

Hi,
    I'm am setting up my first HT and would like to hide speaker wires in walls as much as possible. I was wondering if the type of speaker wire made a difference? I've seen what they call "in wall". If I route the speaker wire thru the wall/ceiling, should I use the in-wall wire vs. the regular speaker-wire? Is there a difference between the two? I'm also considering the "flat-wire" if I cannot get into walls. Thank you

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Joseph,
    The general response here is to follow Electrical Code and use CL-2 or CL-3 rated “in-wall” wire that uses shielding resistant to heat/flame gas emissions. It also is a move that could make a difference in abiding by homeowner insurance standards should there be a fire, god forbid, and subsequent inspection. HERE is a nice little PDF on this from Crutchfield.
    On this forum, it’s generally recommended using 12-gauge, despite the scale shown by Crutchfield for the added stability from higher-frequency rolloff.
    Many like the CarolCable 12-gauge 2-conductor from partsexpress.com HERE Part 100-740. Home Depot also may carry spools of 12AVG CL-2/CL-3.
    If you're thinking about a third rear (rear center) speaker some day, you can run that now or get the 4-conductor roll which wud involve a splice. At 19cents a ft for 2-conductor you cud just as well run three of these cables
    Flatwire is much more costly, but there are lots of types out there, including "stick-on" and paintable versions.

3. Joseph Salerno

Joseph Salerno Auditioning

Thanks for the reply and the tips on where to look to buy.

4. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

I am just about to buy a 250 foot spool of 12 guage wire from Home Depot to run my surrounds in-wall. The wire is made my Leviton and is about $55 for the spool. Anyone know if this wire is rated CL2/CL3? I'll have to check when I go back later, I guess.

Aaron