What's new

Types of component video (1 Viewer)

Craig Aguiar

Stunt Coordinator
Hello. I have some questions about component video connection. I have heard many types of connections refered to as component video but I have noticed many different configurations I guess you could say.

Here are a few I know of.

Y Pb Pr
Y Ry By
Y Cb Cr (also called YUV)
RGB

I know RGB is different than the rest and not interchangable (although I don't know why) but how about the others. For example. I am looking at getting a line scaler that has a Y Cb Cr input and a Y Pb Pr output. I think my DVD player has the Y Pr Pb output. Are they compatiable?

Another line scaler I was looking at has Y Ry By inputs and outputs. Tech support said they are compatible with Y Pr Pb but she didn't sound too sure of her answer. Are they compatatable?

Is one progressive scan and the other interlaced. Please help. Thanks.

Also, I appoligize if this is in the wrong forum.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
This fourm is fine.

AFIK all of the following are identical, they just use different symbols:

Y Pb Pr
Y Ry By
Y Cb Cr (also called YUV)

The "Y" is the actual video, the other two are color difference signals.

But they can carry either interlace or progressive, PAL, etc. The symbols apply to all.

Allan Jayne has a great page on All about component video. It gives short answers at the top, then more in-depth discussion below.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks