What's new

Types of birds you've seen in your yard? (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I have chickadees, finches, seagulls, pigeons, doves, crows, blackbirds, blue jays, cardinals, woodpeckers, owls, hawks, eagles, Canadian geese, mallard ducks, blue birds, cuckoos, robins, sparrows, starlings, swans, wrens, and a whole bunch of other birds.

The reason why I have swans, ducks, and geese are because I have a swamp in my back yard. There's alot of woods, so that's why there's so many types of birds in my yard. I live about a half hour to 40 minutes from the sea shore, so that's why I see seagulls alot. They come inland to get food.

I used to have alot of pheasants and humming birds, but hunters killed off the pheasants, and I don't know what happened to the hummingbirds.

I don't know if I should put my Amazon and 5 budgies on the list, so I'll add them on at the end here.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thru the cross-hairs of my .22 Winchester I've seen, finches, seagulls, pigeons, doves, crows and a few ducks.
Peace Out~;)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
C'mon on Mark, don't you notice the winkie? Just a play on words man, don't get too worked up.
Peace Out~:D

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was at my parents a while back, and there was a rather large vulture sunning itself on the top of the telephone pole in their back yard. I guess I never thought they looked that big while they were flying around, but being near, his full wing spread must have been at least 5-6ft! This thing was huge.

The funniest thing though, is that I have a little friend (?) outside my apartment. For the past few months, I have had one robin or starling that is constantly bashing his head against my living room window. It seemed like a fluke thing the first couple of times, but basically he does it EVERY day, often. I don't know if he is just reacting to his own reflection, or if he can see in and just wants to get at something, but it is quite entertaining. There is a small ledge below the window, and he lands there, and proceeds to jump at the glass, bounce off into the air, land and do it again.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Insert witty middle finger joke here.

Living in the city, I am excited to see a Blue Jay or a Cardinal. There are some owls nearby.

Cam S

Screenwriter
I had a Qual die in my hands the other day that my dam cat brought it and it was still alive, man was that sad :frowning: Needless to say Casey (the cat) had some timeout in the bathroom hahaha :D

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
My dalmation defeathered a pigeon in the backyard not too long ago. What a mess.
Peace Out~:D

Julie K

Screenwriter
Mourning doves. I get hungry every time I see or hear them.

Scrub jays.

Hummingbirds. Sure is fun to watch those guys fight! You can see very quickly why the Aztec god of war was a hummingbird.

Ravens. (Well, those have been sitting out in the street and on the lamp posts.)

Blackbirds.

Little brown birds.

That's about it.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I see pigeons, morning doves, hummingbirds, black birds and Chickadees (I think). Not too exotic in my back yard.

My mom's back yard in Pennsylvania is a different story: Robins, Bluejays, Cardinals, a variety of Woodpeckers, Chickadees, Hummingbirds, Black Birds, Mallard Ducks, Canadian Geese, sparrows and tons more. We even saw a wild turkey in the yard. (In the winter she gets deer in the yard, which she feeds)

She lives in town, but the backyard sits up against the water company property, with a lake and stream. It was a great location to grow up as a kid.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
pigeons.

no seriously, I'm at a point in my life where I'm buying bird feeders for my deck and trees. I even bought a field guide to note the birds I've seen. Not too much so far-- cardinals, robins, bluejays. I am pleasantly surprised to see goldfinches at the feeder. I live in a cluster community and never imagined that "cute" birds would be around. However, I have yet to attract one hummingbird with their feeders.

I have discovered that a bluejay has a nest no more than three feet from my kitchen window. Man, those birds get big VERY fast. The three babies are struggling to keep in the nest-- beaks, legs, and wings constantly shaking the branch.

Best regards,

~~Nathan

Hugh M

Second Unit
when I was very young, there were two peacocks in my backyard. My mother didn't believe me the first couple of times I tried to tell her. They had escaped from a local zoo in SoCal.

In Colorado there were alot of magpies, which are scavengers, and are pretty strange looking birds with long tails.

Down here, in the desert I see alot of roadrunners which is surprising when you see them with a mouse in their mouth.

lots of hummingbirds, in colorado, and here, but you need to be careful that you don't lure them around with feeders when they should be on their way to someplace else.

Its boring, but thats the truth.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
, pigeons, doves, crows and a few ducks.
gotta watch those $500 chickens :D
speaking of ducks, some female duck almost caused me to crash on my motorcycle the other night, she was brown like all damn female ducks (well, as far as I know, I don't really know jack about ducks if you couldn't tell :D) and she decided to sit, at twilight, right next to a curb where I couldn't see her until I was leaned over much further than I should have on the street and right on top of her

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Philip most female ducks are brown and non discript. There are tell tail signs as to which speices they are from but to need a good look to tell..ie buzzing buy in your car doesn't likely offer the best viewing:)
PS I work for Ducks Unlimited:)

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I see hummingbirds, various small tweety things, blue-jays, cardinals, doves, crows, and swallows.

Canada Geese like to nest here, there is a pair that nests outside my ofice window. They hangout here for a month or so in Spring, crapping all over the place, attacking their reflections, threatening people,and getting into fights with crows.

Bald Eagles will winter near here, and a few even nest not far from here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks