Type of RAM to buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Campbell, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Josh Campbell

Josh Campbell Stunt Coordinator

Sorry for the idiotic question, but I need to get some Ram for my computer, and am not sure what type to buy. I have a Gateway 566mhz with a 40g HD running Windows 2k and currently have 128MB of Ram. I want to buy 256 to add on, but not sure whether to buy SDRAM or DDR RAM or any others, I just have no clue when it comes to hardware. Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Josh

2. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

From the specs you've given, I'd assume it would be SDRAM. DDR is relatively new and would not be compatible with older motherboards.

If you have the exact model name and number of your Gateway, you can go to Crucial.com and it will walk you through selecting which type of RAM you would need and how much your motherboard can take. This would probably be the easiest way...assuming you have the model number and name.

Hope this helps.

John

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Its not DDR since that wasnt even around when the 566 chip was out. Great suggestion to go to crucial so they can give you exactly what you need and most likely they will have a pretty good deal on it as well.

KyleS

4. Scott McC.

Scott McC. Stunt Coordinator

Crucial is, indeed, a good resource, but all you need is PC-100 SDRAM, crucial makes good stuff, but not quite in the same league as Corsair for overclocking, but still very respectable, remember, other then Win XP and 2K (and Linux) the operating system doesn't address more then 256 megs, so any more is wasteful

(Edit): You have 2K, but before dumping more $$ into that system, consider building a new one with a slightly heftier proc and RAM

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

6. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

The big question is if your motherboard will support 256MB sticks or not. Many older boards top out at 128MB sticks.

7. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I'm pretty confident a 566mhz capable mobo could handle 256 meg sticks of SDRAM though he could email the company to know for sure.

As for ram, you could easily go with PC133 SDRAM as it will run perfectly fine with a mobo that accepts PC100 ram. The ram will automatically slow down to 100 and act as if it's pc100.

Sometimes places have PC133 ram on sale, so just thought I mention it. Check out pricewatch.com and do a search for ram and you'll probably find some cheap chips. Since you're not overclocking I'd pay less attention to brands such as Crucial, Corsair, Mushkin, Kingston, etc.

I HIGHLY doubt your motherboard accepts DDR ram or QDR/Rambus memory. Ask for PC133 or PC100 SDRAM and the amount of memory such as 128 megs and you'll do fine.

8. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

9. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

I'd just buy a second 128Mb pc-100 chip, going over 256Mb doesnt make any crutial difference for such type of a computer and there should be a second slot. [​IMG]

10. Scott McC.

Scott McC. Stunt Coordinator

I agree, you're still very limited by processor speed, FSB, and RAM speed, but adding 128megs more won't hurt.

Jeff: are you sure? I'm pretty confident that it's only 256 megs...?

11. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

12. Josh Campbell

Josh Campbell Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the help guys. i am gonna be getting a new one in the fall, but since i do a lot of audio stuff for my own use, the extra memory will help a little now, and i figure i can just add the Ram to the new computer when i do get it. If not, it isn't a big expense. I will check out 128MB SDRAM from Crucial.

Take care and thanks again,
    Josh

13. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter