Type of glue use in surround repair?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Dan D Burke, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Dan D Burke

Dan D Burke Agent

Is the glue used in repairing the foam on the surround basket a special type? Why I am is because I have a woofer that the foam has become unglued. It is not rotten or ripped, the glue just let loose.

Thanks,

Dan

2. Robert_CA

Robert_CA Stunt Coordinator

Parts Express sells 1oz bottles speaker repair adhesive for $5.95 plus shipping. The part no. is 340-076 (page 149 of new catalog). I used it recently when I had to repair a surround on one of my mid bass drivers. The stuff works really good too! Go to:
    www.partsexpress.com

I hope this works out for you. Best Wishes and Happy Holidays!![​IMG]

3. Dan D Burke

Dan D Burke Agent

Thank you Robert

I've thought about the glue from Parts Express but what I wondered is there any compatible glue I could pick up at a Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. Guess you could say I'm a little antsy to get these speakers making noise[​IMG]

Happy Holidays to you too.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Dan,

I wonder how well one of the new polyurethane glues will work? This stuff is sold at Home Depot under the names Gorilla Glue and also by Elmers. An 8oz. bottle runs about $6.00. The only thing you have to be aware of is that the glue will slightly expand as it "cures." With this being the case, you could just apply an initial small amount and let it dry to see what happens.

You mentioned that the foam surround of your speaker was torn. Before using the glue I suggested, you might want to apply some to a test surface to see how it cures.

5. Robert_CA

Robert_CA Stunt Coordinator

Parts Express is usually pretty good in shipping out their products promptly. It's usually a couple of days from Wisconsin to my location (although this is the Christmas shopping season - it could take a little longer). I know that it's important to use an adhesive whose formulation does not contain any additives that would be incompatible with the foam not break down the surround. As far as the polyurethane adhesives are concerned, I'm not too sure about them though. Try giving Parts Express a call and ask about the ship time. Cheers! [​IMG]

6. Dan D Burke

Dan D Burke Agent

I have some gorilla glue but that stuff expands to much.

I went ahead and ordered a surround repair kit from Parts Express. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the help.