Type of cabling to run from LCD flatscreen to caable box?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by ScottKI, Dec 29, 2005.

1. ScottKI

ScottKI Auditioning

I just purchased a Samsung 40" lcd hdtv flat screen. All of my equipment will be kept in the closet that is about 45' away. My question is what would be the best type of cables to run from the tv to the closet? The sales guy at circuit city said to get a hdmi cable. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Scott

2. John S

John S Producer

That is a long run for HDMI....

I'd think you would have the best luck with RG6 coax (3 runs, one each with RCA adapters / connectors to form a component video cable...

But when I install, I run at least one cable of each input the display offers....

If it has two component video inputs, I'd run two component runs, if it has two HDMI I'd run two HDMI, along with svideo and what ever other inputs it may have on it.

I think that is a pretty standard approach to it really.

So in short run one of every type input it has, and mulitples of those the display offers multiple inputs of.

3. ScottKI

ScottKI Auditioning

Thank you for the link to the article. My other quetion would be, I just ran RG6 quad coax, throughout my house to update the cabling. Would this quad coax be allright to use to make the component cables, or is there another type of coax that would work better?

Thanks for you help.
    Scott

4. Michael Travis

Michael Travis Auditioning

Sure RG6 quad shielded would work just fine. I would just be sure to use some really good quality connectors. It always pays for itself in noticeable picture quality. Good luck and let us know if you have anymore questions.
    Mike

5. John S

John S Producer

That would be pure awesome cable to make component video cables with... Thumbs up!!