What's new

Type of cable to use from pre-out to amp (1 Viewer)

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
I am a bit confused on the types and labels used on various cables. I understand I need a digital coax cable with RCA connectors to hook up my DVD player. Can this same cable be used to go from my pre-out jacks to my new amp? Or should I be using an audio cable (usually in stero pairs)? Or something else?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

Would one be noticably better than the other? I know this is a subjective in nature....

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
You mean between the regular "audio cables", and a "digital coax"? Not because one is named one way or the other, but who knows? One is not inherently better than the other. The only reason there is a deliniation between the two is because the "audio cables" typically use 50ohm connectors, and the "digital coax" used 75ohm connectors.

Currently, I am using a so called "regular audio cable" as my "digital coax", but it also has 75ohm connectors.

Are there some "digital coax cables" that you could use that sound better than "regular audio cables" for your purposes? Sure, and vice versa.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Suppose you happen to have extra "non-audio" coax wires, e.g. Belden 1694A. Would there be any reason not to use these for the pre-amp to amp connection, rather than an "audio" cable?

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Unless you're really anal about this kind of stuff, no, there's no reason not to. I think my interconnects are made from Belden 1694A.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Yes, you can use cables made from belden 1694a but its not the best choice. I found it sounds worse than the cheaper Monster cables. The properties (thickness of center wire,type of insulation, jacket, braid type etc..)of this cable does not make it the best choice. Try and find a thinner coax (Belden 89259)design or a twisted pair that uses teflon as the insulation. Audio aylum has a bunch of info on this subject. Jon Rische and others share their vast knowledge and advise with all.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Mark,

Yes, you can use cables made from belden 1694a but its not the best choice. I found it sounds worse than the cheaper Monster cables.
If you can state this to a certainty, I’m guessing you have an expensive system, right? And lots of years of listening experience?

Please note that the originator of this thread, Chris AH, and probably Marvin as well, are novices and probably have modest systems. Maybe someday they’ll have the experience and equipment to appreciate sonic differences between interconnects, but for now they’re just trying to get their systems running.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Thanks for the answers. I guess my system is relatively modest and I'm a novice as far as separates are concerned. I hope to rectify that last part soon. But I'd like to aim a little higher than just getting my system running. Is it a consensus than even a cheap audio cable (Monster, AR, whatever) would be a better choice than a good coax cable? Is the pre/pro to amp interconnect a connection where it's worthwhile to go "high end" (as opposed to the connection between a subwoofer and receiver)?

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Wayne,

Like everything else on this forum its an opinion. You do not need to be an audiophile or have a mega buck system to hear the difference between cables. Why listening to music or watching movies for 20 years would make one an expert is a little beyond me.

Marvin
If you have a 1694a based cable then by all means use it to get a system running. If you want to buy some cables that will carry you through the upgrade stage then its not the best choice. A twisted pair design will usually outperform most coax designs. The only coax cable that I know of that will hold its own against them would be the Belden 89259a cable. Its sepcial because of its properties: bare copper 22 awg stranded core, Teflon insulation, bare copper shield and Teflon jacket.
The monster 400MKII is a decent cable for the price. You may wish to check out the cables from Outlaw and others as well.
I would definately use a good IC between the pre/pro and pwr amp. You do not need to go high-end though.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
I try not to get swayed by the wire wars -- "it makes a Big Difference" -- but as an optimist, it's hard to avoid wondering, gee, just MAYBE this upgrade wire/cable will be "better".
I can swallow that Home Depot 12gauge wire all around for speakers is just fine. And that video interconnects quality is more important than audio (eyes being more acute than ears for small resolutions.)
When it came to needing amp to rcvr interconnects for the first time, tho, I didnt want to cheap-out myself with this major upgrade, so I went for CatCables BlueTigers (copper) for around $200 for 5.
I think a very good alternative would be Outlaw PCA coppers, with six (three pair) 1.2m going for $130 plus shipping.
bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks