1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Type III PFDs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Not knowing much about water sports, can somebody enlighten me on Type III PFDs?
    http://www.rei.com/rei/learn/detail....sp&ls=Paddling
    I read that info and in it, kind of makes all the PFDs I am looking at buying pretty much Type III, except for one thing:

2. John Miles

John Miles Stunt Coordinator

A type-III PFD is a state machine triggered by the falling edges of the input and feedback signals. The phase-frequency detector controls a current generator. The current is injected into a first order RC filter which produces the VCO input signal. Then, the VCO output generates a square wave which is divided by the N-divider and injected into the PFD. The frequency of the VCO output signal is proportional to the VCO input voltage.

Like most electronic devices, extensive waterproofing will likely be required for your application. :b

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    OOPS, let me clarify, I mean a US Coast Guard Type III Personal Floatation Device aka PFD [​IMG]
    Your response just flew over my head!
    Jay

4. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I'd check the label, but I couldn't imagine that Extrasport would sell an uncertified PFD.

Extrasports are great, I used to use one exclusively when I taught sailing for a living (those were the days). Comfortable and stylish, and they seem to breathe a lot better than some of the other PFDs I've tried.

5. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

John beat me to it ... I was going to explain how a PFD, or Primary Flight Display, is one of the screens an astronaut would use during the ascent part of a shuttle mission. I guess I'm not the only smart-ass [​IMG]

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Well, I was at Campmor and was looking at their PFDs (the floating kind [​IMG] ) and it looks like all of them that aren't super bulky are type IIIs so I should be safe. Not that I think anybody is really going to check that closely. Most races that I do, the people just do a cursury glance to make sure you have a helmet, etc..
    Jay