Type connections poll of sorts

Discussion in 'Displays' started by John S, Jul 16, 2004.

1. John S

John S Producer

I have been wondering what are the most common connections people use to their HDTV's???

Maybe a quick post about how many devices are connected through each type of connection used. Base it on devices, not inputs used, if yoru switching 3 devices to one port say with your AVR that counts as 3 for what I am looking for. Maybe a quick note if don't use DVI is it because your HDTV doesn't have DVI and/or HDMI inputs?

Example:

I use 2 SVIDEO devices, and I use 3 component video devices, and my set does not have DVI and/or HDMI.

2. Rick Wunder

Rick Wunder Extra

Before I got my current display, a Panasonic PT-50LC13, I did all my video switching through my AVR, with the devices connected via composite cables. The exception was the DVD player, which went to the component input of the TV, which was a 36" JVC 4x3 tube.

Now, I don't do any video switching through the AVR. It's all done through the display and is set up as follows:

Comcast 6200 STB (HD): DVI
    DVD player: Component 1 (self-explanatory)
    VCR (S-VHS): Video 1 (S-video)

In both cases, I have used the AVR for audio switching, never using the TV speakers for anything.

3. John S

John S Producer

Perfect, and thanks for the reply...

I am try'n to get a feel for what percentage of people have and use DVI, what percentage of people have DVI but don't use it, what percentage of people do not have DVI, and what percentage of people are still using SVIDEO and/or Composite in some form or fashon. Maybe even what percentage have an HDTV and have never viewed any HD content at all on it.

Note only respond if you own an HDTV.....

4. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Toshiba HD RPTV and component switchbox:

(1) S-video, ReplayTV
    (1) Composite, VCR
    (1) DVI, Bravo D1 DVD player
    (4) Component - XBox, DVD-A/SACD player, Region Free DVD player, HD tuner

5. DarrenHo

DarrenHo Stunt Coordinator

tv: sony kp51ws510. has component, composit, s-video, dvi
    dvd: component
    vcr: composit
    cable: ant

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I run everything through my computer, process it up and output RGBhv to my projectors (Barco G808 and Marquee 8500).

7. John S

John S Producer

Neat Chris!!!

I have not even considered the HTPC angle on all this. I would still assume the HTPC'rs are a way minority? But, heck, I could be wrong on that account.

8. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

To my G70 CRT projector.

From the HTPC which includes DVD, SD cable TV (via sage), and computer. I run a 5BNC RGBHV cable via a MP-1 modified Radeon 9500 Pro.

For OTA HDTV (which is also getting my laserdisc signal from the S-video in) I run the output from the HTPC via component calbe to a NEC 6010 switcher, also run my HDTV cable box for HDTV channels via component to the switcher.

For the X1 projector.

HTPC runs to a a VGA switcher, and the X-box also connects to this VGA switcher via a X2VGA and my Dreamcast goes into the input on the X2VGA. Then a single VGA cable to the X1.

Niether projector has DVI.

9. John S

John S Producer

Wow, I am starting to see, such a thread as this is most outdated.

Geeesh, I just upgraded to HDTV around xmas last year. I guess I really need to read up on all the HTPC advantages these days.

So you HTPC guys have been scale'n your DVD material to 1080i for quite some time now huh?

10. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

Not to 1080i, 720P for me. But yes, I have been for some time now.

11. John S

John S Producer

720p is close enoug to me.. And here I was sort of bent that I couldn't find a player that did it out the component video. All I had to do was setup a good HTPC....

So your DD and DTS come from a sound card, and your DVD drive installed in your PC is your source for dvd? You output everything through your video card and it is scalled to 720p when you watch anything from your HTPC?

Is so, way cool.....

12. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

Yep, thats how it all works. Pretty sweet if you ask me [​IMG]

I also have Tivo like functionality, a ~20,000 song juke box, I can record OTA HDTV, I can play PC games on the big screen, etc. etc.

HTPC is the way to go if you are willing to dedicated the time to set one up.

13. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Plus you can play hi-def WM9 stuff, though there isn't much of it. But it's either HTPC, or pay $10K+ for an outboard scaler. Or like $100K for the teranex. ouch!