What's new

Type A's gallery (1 Viewer)

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Added to the theater today is a pair of Berkline power recliners. These were actually purchased for my last theater room but a greater seating capacity was called for when the theater was created in a larger room. This photo represents the final shot of my home theater in the state of Florida. After 15 years living in the south my contract working for the Federal Government will be complete 1 February and I will be taking the opportunity to move back to my home town of Portland Oregon. In the interest of moving light and getting rid of excess crap that can easily be replaced, the half-circle couch previously pictured was resold on craigslist for a profit two years later, gotta love craigslist. Mid bass modules were moved forward to beside the seating and configuration changed from ports closed to ports open, made a pretty big difference in their impact...

DSC_0696_zpsd6b3900c.jpg

New theater will be established March/April of 2014. Its very likely this new theater will be roughly the same dimensions and a dedicated room complete with darken walls. WAF prevented me from painting this room and doing our livingroom right, no complaints as she's been a good egg about acoustic treatments and the look of a 7.4 sound system in her livingroom. I will probably replace the high power screen with something higher contrast in the interest of deeper blacks from the RS60. Next theater will also have complete acoustic treatments. Ill update this journal when work begins on the next theater, see you in 2014.

blabolat

Grip
Real Name
Ken
I don't have this system anymore, I went with a standard tv.
but what I wanted to show was a nice way to finish off the screen.

Basically I made a shelf, and hung the screen under it, but it looked very unfinished and not very sightly when I rolled the screen up so I made that Chevron..

the Chevron is a simple floor trim, that I jig sawed the ends as a wing.. and painted it somekind of silver with texture.
It gave it a very nice finishing touch and really added something to the screen..

Just sharing..is all.

8727f21e-69b9-4632-89a6-c565c3ef4043_zps6cab408b.jpg

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Move from Panama City Florida to Portland Oregon is complete and a new dedicated home theater room is in the works. This new room is 12' 11" wide and 34' 6" deep. Ill be carpeting and painting (dark colors) to 24' deep and likely doing a second row for 2x2 seating. Heres some before pics, the long box on the floor is the 106" Da Lite screen for perspective. Tape measure is approximate seating width for each row.

DSC_0752_zpsf907d2a4.jpg

DSC_0753_zps7c32b8e9.jpg

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Paint is Behr Wood Bark and the carpet is .49 a square foot special from Home Depot. Total was about $200 paint and carpet. Ill see if I can find someone with a seam iron and cut the tail end of the carpet, I only want to carpet to the beginning of the entrance. That spare should fill in the one foot along the left side of the room. But its painted and carpeted for now, window coverings remaining...

DSC_0758_zpsc364f3b1.jpg

DSC_0759_zpsd38d64da.jpg

DSC_0757_zps8aa7434a.jpg

DSC_0760_zpsd18249b3.jpg

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Carpet adjustments mentioned in the previous post are complete. Windows covered, screen mounting blocks installed and screen hung. Added to the theater today is a Peerless PRG Series PRG-EXC-W 19.1-Inch to 32.6-Inch Adjustable Projector Ceiling Mount Kit.

http://www.amazon.com/Peerless-PRG-EXC-W-19-1-Inch-32-6-Inch-Adjustable/dp/B001FWCCUI/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1398490347&sr=1-8&keywords=peerless+projector+mount

Wont be using the extensions for this particular room but Best Buy made me a deal on the mount kit I couldnt refuse (if you can believe that). The kit includes lots of different screw sizes but go figure they are all only 1/2" long and the projector feet screw in with 1.5" screws. Off to Home Depot I go in the morning to get screws long enough...lol.

DSC_0761_zpsd21a42cb.jpg

Windows were covered with black vinyl and afixed using hot glue, tedious and time consumming work but aside from some touch-ups around the edges it looks sharp. It was recommended I try upholstery tacks but the windows casing would crack. I swear my cheap glue gun has been a seriously useful asset in my home theater hobby. The vinyl was $7.99 a yard.
DSC_0762_zpsdd6121bc.jpg

DSC_0763_zps440c6dd6.jpg

Had to use spacer blocks (mounted onto concrete) to allow the screen to clear the covered window behind it. Since I ended up liking the install I think Ill cover these blocks with black vinyl also.

DSC_0767_zpsef226931.jpg

DSC_0766_zpsbace6798.jpg

DSC_0768_zps78e0cc3d.jpg

Next up will be projector mount installed, component rack filled and then speaker install...

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Projector mounted, highly recommend this mount as its cheaper than the Cheif and has nice fine adjustment screws that make leveling (post install) a breeze (not something youll find on the overpriced Cheif). Also made a custom 35' power cord for the projector. Finally, painted and installed cable channels. Heres the link to what I used for that....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Legrand-Wiremold-Cordmate-II-Kit-C210/100657473

DSC_0769_zpsffe2b552.jpg

DSC_0771_zpsac761521.jpg

DSC_0772_zps2d1b9407.jpg

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Heres more progress shots...

Redneck riser added. Eventually Ill cover it in plywood and carpet it but for now its a 12" riser for $40 invested.

DSC_0786_zpsa1ccf9dd.jpg

Overall shot standing behind row number 1. Also in view is my center channel stand mockup, doesnt look like much but its stable and functional. First and second reflection point acoustic panels installed on the left and second reflection point panel on the right. A single bass trap front left and of course ceiling and wall treatments for the high channels :

DSC_0777_zpsd90d2a8e.jpg

DSC_0775_zps987b9d0c.jpg

Standing at the screen:

DSC_0774_zps79d7c48c.jpg

Seated, row 1:

DSC_0783_zps6ad632d2.jpg

Seated, row 2:

DSC_0784_zps3d73a800.jpg

Still some fine tuning; front light fixture has to go, replace outlet and light switch covers, little stuff like that. Otherwise system is fully installed and calibrated, best performance (both audio and video) Ive had yet from this system.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Note to self: There is nothing like a new toy in the garage to bring your home theater money and effort to a screeching halt.

DSC_0931_zpsb3ce1416.jpg

DSC_0933_zps671ad3f7.jpg

I shall return! (Disposable income permitting) :lol:

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Very nice. Do you mind a few questions? New? Did you get the S? I've started staying on the look our for a good pre-owned opportunity. I think it'd be a fun car to own.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
No just a base 2002, 5 speed with 99k miles. For $9k I couldnt resist. The 2.7L seems like plenty for me though Im sure the 3.2 is that much more exciting. New RMS and IMS bearing (Im covering the IMS, the lot is covering the RMS) goes in Tuesday. Friday was new Michelin AS3s all the way around, I could have made $700 go a long ways in home theater but good rubber on a fast car is priceless :).

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun. That's kind of what I'm looking for...someday. I'll have to convince the wife and it doesn't make a lot of family sense right now, but I continue to keep a look out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks