What's new

tx-sr600 or rx-v1200 (1 Viewer)

That should not be a very tough choice, there is a $ 200 price difference between the 2. the Onkyo offers the same features and a VASTLY better remote for less. Thats a no brainer to me.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
You may want to tell us what you want out of this system and what the rest of the setup is like. Will this be exclusively for movies? Any features that are particularly important to you?

Have you listened to the two units? You should do that as the sound quality should also be a major deciding factor and only you can decide which one you like better.

As a Yamaha owner I can tell you the 1200 is a good unit and Yamaha has a great track record for quality control.

- Mike

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
Its probably 70% music and 30% hometheater. Im just looking for a recevier that will perform better than my jvc 6000vbk. The onkyo doesnt have pre outs does it? Another thing also is that i can get the yamaha for 550 so its not $200 more. Which one will probably give more power. I dont have the greatest system right now. I put all my money into my car. I have all yamaha speakers except for the sub. Im trying to make a decision here.

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys.. having the same decision as well. Do you guys think the Yammie would be noticably better than the Onkyo/Integra(new 5.3).... By the way, has anyone EVER heard a difference between Onkyo and Integra? Im pretty sure Onkyo has the best remote goin between the two, but the Yammie gets killer reviews.

VicQ

Stunt Coordinator
Well, in terms of features alone, the Yamaha offers a LOT more. 6 digital inputs on back and 1 in front, as opposed to 3 on back and 1 in front on the Onkyo. All channel pre-outs on the Yamaha as opposed to none. I also think the Yamaha remote is better.

-Vic

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
The Onkyo tx-sr700 is a better comparision model for the yamaha rx-v1200, both in price and features. But the sr-700 has just hit the stores.

Don't know which one would be noticably better, but would bet they would be noticably different.

Has anyone heard the sr-700 yet?

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
I have heard both with similar speakers (though not on same day, so not a great test) and I believe the yamaha Top -art amps provide a muich better sound...a friend who works as a rep for Onkyo freely admits that CC , which is a HUGELY dominant vendor for them, keeps asking mnfgrs for more features at lower price points .This , he says, is why onkyo (among others ) are dropping amp quality in their lower end units, believing that most consumers are shopping via "check-list o' features" and are going to be running their speakers in "small" mode any way.....even Yamaha doesn't make the lower-end rcvrs with their Top-Art amps because of BB. So, when comparing rcvrs, don't forget "quality of sound" on your checklist!!!!

VicQ

Stunt Coordinator
The Onkyo 700 has the same amount of digital inputs (3 on back). In other words, not enough in today's world.

-Vic

Norman L

Second Unit
FYI:

A/V Receivers in the same class:

5 Channels output: THE HIDDEN CLAIM except HK,

Yamaha 1200 = 50w

Onkyo 700 = 38W

Harmon Kardon 520 = 74W

Denon 2802 = 74W

Which have the better power supply?

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
Norman,

Do you know the REAL specs on the Yamaha RX-V2200?

The V1200 sounded much better than the 2802 (heck, it was equal to the 3802) but the V2200 was the best of the bunch. H/K doesn't have some features I need, and Onkyo seems to have gone the mass-market path trading feaures for amp performance.

And do you know much on the Kenwood line? Just saw the specs on their new VR-6070 and can't believe it, feature packed, decent power (but is it real?) and a MSRP of $599.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Just food for thought, but how much does amplification ability really affect sound at moderate listening levels? I know all about headroom and the need for more amplification when listening at loud levels. I know it takes double the power to produce 3 decibels increase in loudness. But it seems to me, if you're listening in a small/moderate sized room, at reasonable levels (maybe 60 dbs in your listening position), that the things that would affect the (subjective) quality of sound more (besides the speakers) would be the DACs (and any other processing) and how well isolated the signal is inside the amp/receiver. i.e. interference to the analog signal is kept at a minimum.

cheers,

--tom

Richard Gray

Stunt Coordinator
The RX-V1200 I have seems to be able to push more than 50 Watts rms through each of it's 6.1 channel setup. I have trouble believing that is all it is capable of. Why was it rated by a major publication as only having that much power? Major print publication's ususally don't lie, but that all mighty advertising money can do weird things. Maybe it's true. But I have hooked it up to 4 JBL ND310 speakers, and a S-Center and she puts out enough sound energey to shake the walls. Besides, you can always add on more power or go up to the RXV2200 for more umph.
My point is, that as long as there is more than enough power to do what you want with your setup then what is the difference. It's your $$!;)

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
that's 50w all channels going at ONCE!!! You don't have that normally.

-ELmO

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.