"Two White Shirts" - the Gap ad

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GaryEA, May 23, 2002.

1. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

Hey all,
    I have to admit, I'm loving the Gap's new ad campaign. The two other commercials are good, but "Two White Shirts" -the one with Dennis Hopper and Christina Ricci poolside against the Beach Boys - has me fascinated.
    A favor to anyone who might be able to help; I'd like to have this spot, maybe as a Quicktime or an mpeg. Basically just so I can watch it whenever I'd like. Does anyone have it on their Tivo or on tape and can do that for me? I'd really appreciate it.
    Oh, you can view them all here.
    Take care and have a great holiday weekend!
    Gary

2. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

Can you please tell me what the name of this song is?

3. Larry Seno Jr.

The one i wanted to know is:

"Hang on to your ego" by the Beach Boys.

4. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

It's an instrumental version of the "Hang On to Your Ego" by the Beach Boys.
    EDIT: You beat me to it! [​IMG]
    -g

5. Will_B

Will_B Producer

In the other one, Denim Invasion, the GAP site credits "Love is All Around" as being by the Troggs, but I am unclear - is that just the writing credit, and is the tune that is actually HEARD in the ad performed by another artistt? It sounded more modern - but the Troggs look like they are very old.

6. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

7. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

The Troggs one looks like a new recording by the original artists. CDNow lists a 2002 release of "Love is all around"...

8. Daniel Swartz

Daniel Swartz Second Unit

Gary,

You kind of answered your own request. The Quicktime files at Gap's website are cached on your computer's hard drive. It should be in whatever directory your temporary Internet files are stored. You might have to enable caching in Quicktime though. Just do a search for this file:

Shirts_Ego_QT4_Gap320.mov

Good luck!

9. Larry Seno Jr.

I can't find the instrumental of that song ANYWHERE. The odd thing is, the music is SO awesome in this song (Hang on to your ego) but the singing is just GARBAGE. Sorry, not a beach boys fan.

10. clemente

clemente Agent

I've seen this commercial countless times and failed to realize that the woman was Christinna Ricci. I've actually pondered whether or not she was a famous person who I should have recognized....shame on me!:b

11. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

Daniel -

Thanks for the tip! It isn't the highest of resolution or size, but at least I've got a version to play on my HD while I try to find a larger version. Pretty cool.

Thanks again!

Larry -

I've been hunting for this version as well. Being a complete Beach Boys newbie, I simply looked it up on Amazon. Lots of editions, but none have the instrumental.

Anybody know?

clemente--

Same here. I was surprised to learn that it was Ms. Ricci I read the notes on the Gap site. Not surprised that she could be in the ad, but that I failed to recognize her at first (or tenth) glance.

-g

12. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Pet Sounds Sessions box set contains: Hang On To Your Ego - (stereo backing track)

That is most likely it. But the Beach Boys discs have been released and rereleased and rereleased in so many variations with so many different bonus tracks each time that it may be from some other release.

Thanks for the Troggs headsup.

13. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

14. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I recognized Ricci right away, but I have another question. In the ad when a group of people are riding bicycles, is one of them Ashton Kutcher?

EDIT: I checked the website, and that is him. I should have thought of that right away.

/Mike

15. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

RE: The bike ride GAP commercial...

One is Ashton Kutcher(That 70's Show) and another is Scarlett Johansson(Ghost World). For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the other guy in the commercial. He looks familar but I can't get his name. Nor can I say the name of the other woman in the ad.

16. Graeme Clark

Ashton Kutcher (Dude, Where's My Car?, That 70's Show, coming soon in The Butterfly Effect)

Scarlett Johansson (Ghost World, The Man Who Wasn't There, The Horse Whisperer, coming soon in Eight Legged Freaks)

Zooey Deschanel (Almost Famous, Mumford, coming soon in The Good Girl)

Jay Hernandez (Crazy/Beautiful, The Rookie)

17. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

18. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Gary, look for the Pet Sounds box used (if you like the Beach Boys). I picked up a copy for $20 (considering that the single Pet Sounds CD is $18.99 new at Tower, it's a bargain!) It's a 4 cd set, disc one is the original album in mono (Brian Wilson is deaf in one year so he always preferred mono, and is in a cardboard replica sleeve of the original album. The other three discs are in a double wide jewel box, and there are two separate books.

The first two discs of session recordings (the Hang On To Your Ego backing track being one of them) are all in stereo and actually interesting, especially Brian telling the musicians what to do. The 4th disc is some really interesting alternate versions and the whole album remixed in stereo (which I prefer to the mono). The whole box is in HDCD and you can really tell the difference if you have an HDCD player.

The other song for the commercial (the one that my friends think is the Smashing Pumpkins), is "I See the Rain" by Marmalade, which is on the Nuggets 2 box set.

As far as I can tell, "Love is All Around" by the Troggs is the original version, but perhaps they got a hold of a remastered stereo version. I've loved this song since I was a kid, so I'm sure it's the original. (And FYI,
    "Sorry" by the Easybeats, the alternate song to the people running commercial, is also on Nuggets 2).

19. Graeme Clark

Smashing Pumpkins? Where did he get that from? [​IMG]

20. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Not the vocals, but that opening guitar part sounds a very Pumpkinesque.