Two Weeks In Another Town?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Will*B, May 8, 2004.

1. Will*B

Will*B Supporting Actor

Will
    Sorry if this has been brought up before...

Does anyone know of any plans to release the superb Kirk Douglas movie 'Two Weeks In Another Town'? It would be fantastic to see this in 16:9, and I think it is well-deserving of a remastered special edition.

Anyone agree?

2. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

I'd just like to see WB release all of Vincente Minnelli's movies; I've been watching a bunch of his films lately and his visual style is just incredible -- the many long scenes with no cuts; the swooping and sweeping camera moves; the framing and compositions (for academy ratio and then 'Scope), the design. He's one of the few directors who can keep me watching a movie even when the script isn't so hot (Courtship of Eddie's Father), just because his films are so good to look at. Anyway, Two Weeks in Another Town is certainly deserving of release, as are many other Minnelli movies (Some Came Running, The Cobweb, Tea and Sympathy, The Clock, and all the musicals).

Incidentally, Two Weeks is sort of a follow-up, though not a sequel, to one of Minnelli's best films, The Bad and the Beautiful. It reunited the same director, star (Kirk Douglas), producer (John Houseman) and writer (Charles Schnee) in a somewhat similar movie-business melodrama. IIRC there's even a clip from The Bad and the Beautiful in Two Weeks in Another Town.

3. Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano Second Unit

You can put me down for a copy of TWO WEEKS IN ANOTHER TOWN as well. I am also eager for more Minnelli on DVD, SOME CAME RUNNING, HOME FROM THE HILL, LUST FOR LIFE & THE COBWEB would all make great additions to one's DVD library. As for the musicals, I am eagerly anticipating THE BAND WAGON and would love to see CABIN IN THE SKY, THE PIRATE, KISMET & BELLS ARE RINGING not to mention special editions of BRIGADOON, GIGI and AN AMERICAN IN PARIS. Also got to throw a vote out there for THE RELUCTANT DEBUTANTE with the lovely Kay Kendall.

Sorry for all the rambling...

4. Will*B

Will*B Supporting Actor

Will
    I agree with all the other choices above. Maybe Two Weeks In Another Town deserves Criterion treatment. After all, they released 'Contempt' which deals with similar issues in a similar way!

The reason I brought this up is that I watched a beautiful 35mm print of Two Weeks last month - reminded me of what cinema should be all about!